Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E-mail problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-mail problem.
    Posted: 27 September 2019 at 1:31pm
I just replied to an e-mail but had lots of problems in doing so.

The reply was fairly long and complicated and frequently a message appeared "An unexpected error has occurred". When I clicked OK I went back to the text to find that the last few words I had typed had not been added to the text. It happened many times.

Then when I eventually sent it another error message came up saying "there was an error, please send again". This again happened  several times. I scraped  it, saved as a draft, but then went back to the draft only to find that only 1/2 the message had been saved.

I went back to the beginning, completed the message but then copied the whole text. and sent a fresh reply............. I had added a couple of pics to the fresh reply and although the text was sent in full... no pics????

So AGAIN I copied the text, started a fresh reply, first attaching the pics, then pasted the text and then sending. It seems to have been sent successfully.

What's going on, any ideas????
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 2:33pm
What e-mail are you using and what client (Outlook etc) or is it online Gmail / Yahoo etc
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 3:16pm
I use BT mail. Don't understand the client bit.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 11:19pm
You're connecting via a website to read the contends of your mail folder, a more reliable way to do this is often to use a client which is 3rd party software. Possibly the most famous is Microsoft Outlook but there plenty of other email clients and some are free/open source such as Thunderbird.

You install and run the client on your PC, it collects and downloads all your mail on connection to the internet assuming you have supplied the correct server settings and username/password. You can choose to copy what is on the server, or delete mail from there once downloaded to your PC. Thunderbird is getting quite clever these days, last time I installed it it auto-configured all server settings successfully by knowing what they were due to the email address provided.

With an email client you can write drafts of email offline if you like, and with perfect backups as you go. If the server is down when you hit send it will automatically keep trying to resend the draft from your outbox until it leaves.

Clients also offer far more options such as automatic email filtering/sorting to folders, integration to calendar, faster/better search as all your mail is stored locally, and easier backups if required. Webmail is less reliable in general as you have seen when it comes to drafts and retaining emails if there is a problem.

For BT Mail the instructions to set up a client are here:https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incoming-bt-email-servers%3F

You might as well download Thunderbird and give it a whirl, there are a lot of setup guides on the net, it is pretty straightforward, and it is a free download.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 11:21pm
Also if you don't want the hassle of a client, the best thing to do to guard against browser/webmail unpredictability is write long emails in notepad or a similar text editor and copy/paste them into your webmail when finished. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2019 at 11:24pm
Once a client is set up i find it less hassle!

Thunderbird  is good. I used EM client for years though and rate it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply