Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadapaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to build
    Posted: 03 October 2019 at 12:31pm
Hey,
I'm researching to build a system for mainly indoor warehouse, but also outdoor raves and events.  We would be playing a wide range of electronic genres but mostly techno and jungle.  I think sound quality and clarity would be my first priority since I can always build more boxes right?

I have been interested in initially building X-Tros and Punishers but I'm concerned I can no longer get XT8 flares?
I was also looking at the MT121 plans, and saw they were revised, but the link to that is now dead.

I guess what I'm asking is if money was not an issue and I wanted the best sounding system possible, what should I build?  
Thanks
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 12:46pm
Peter Morris PM60s (https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi.12390) over Xoc1 TH18's (https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi.12390) would be one of the higher quality options out there if done right.

Edited by DMorison - 03 October 2019 at 12:47pm
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 1:32pm
As someone who owns and loves an xtro punisher system, if I was to build a new system today, I wouldn't build that.

You are right about the XT8s being hard to get, when we built xtro number 3 and 4 we had a hard time getting them. After >6 months of emails backwards and forwards with mykey (the guy who designed and makes XT8s) I ended up buying some off another member on here, he had to pull his xtros apart to sell them to me. This was about two years ago.

I haven't heard the pm60/90 but they seem like a pretty compelling offer. I think they would actually work out cheaper than an xtro to build, be much smaller, lighter and potentially sound better. The big advantage the xtro has is it plays a little lower which gives you more options for bass.

A tapped horn like the TH18 could work well with them but I haven't heard those either. You also wouldn't need a big pile of them to reach down low like you do with FLHs eg. punishers. This would make the system more scalable between small and large events.

I do wonder if a TH18 + PM60 system would have enough kick for techno, as it has no dedicated kick bin. Maybe someone else on here can shed some light on that.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 2:51pm
Here in the Netherlands, someone has a PM90+TH18 rig. everything is powered by two powersoft 3004PFC4 modules.
He uses the BMS 4594 + passive XO.

Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:57pm
just built PM90 myself, am very impressed with this box. Running with passive xo 2 way and also 3 way active. Huge output from these boxes and far easier move around than most other high output tops.

purple monkey dishwasher
dadapaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadapaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 4:59pm
Wow these PM60s seem almost perfect, the thread has a lot of information for me to go through now.
dadapaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadapaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2020 at 2:47am
I'm finally in the financial position where building is realistic, but I've had my interest piqued in the Syntripp Horn instead of the PM60s after hearing an amazing Danley system.  Both seem very highly regarded so now I am unsure of which to choose.  Would anyone be able to shed some light regarding their differences in sound?
thanks
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2020 at 4:05pm
The PM60/90 will definitely have more output compared to the SyntripP design.
One PM60/90 should fit nice under something like 3 dual 18 BR's (or something comparable in output).

If you're going for multiple SyntripP's per side you basically defeat the main purpose of the design.
 Post Reply Post Reply