Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my first pa project, feedback welcome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 7:26pm
i finally had the time to start building those tops. i decided to go for a multiple entry horn instead of the original idea for midtops.  for the bass i designed a huge 150kg monster folded horn, we'll see how that turns out later :D unfortunately my workshop access will be limited in the upcoming coming weeks (stupid virus), so its a bit unclear when i can finish this project :/ ill post a few pics of the building process: (ive never worked with wood before, dont be too hard on me Confused) cheers

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 9:26am
Looks like an excellent first build considering the compound angles involved. Did you do any simulation or just cut wood to see how it sounds (both perfectly valid approaches).

You're going to want to put some filler in the initial horn throat at some point and smooth the transition to straight sidewalls but I'm sure it is on the todo list.

You might need to seal the backs of those drivers somehow to get the widest frequency response, the box itself will be a good start when finished and you can see where you are.

Would be very interest to see any impedance/SPL measurements if you have the capability when they are finished.
lisette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 1:04pm
i used hornresp to simulate the enclosure. for the transition between hf-driver and horn i 3d printed an adapter, it can only be seen in the second to last pic (black rectangular part). the printing quality was pretty bad so i intend to replace it with a better adapter later...

can you explain what effects a filler in the hornthroat would have?

i am still unsure how i want to seal the back of the mids. hornresp suggests that a large backchamber (just a backplate for the box) would sound very similar to 2 seperate small backchambers. maybe i will try both...

i will post measurements once i finish both midtops and subwoofers...

cheers

(heres a pic of the adapter during printing, forgot to take a decent pic when it was done)

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 9:15pm
Nice project and fine build, congrats!

Jamjah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 9:28am
Hi all 
Been trying to get hold of a compact reflex cabinet design and cutting list for PD 186. 
I see boots-hifi mentioned you have spec and made ? 
Any help greatly appreciated. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 12:58pm
great idea to 3-D print the throat adapter. that way you can put in a different one if you change to a CD with different diameter or throat angle. on my build I used an exponential expansion in the first bit of the throat to minimise distortion until the flare angle met that of the square conical section. seemed like a reasonable way to make somethig out of wood with some jigs and a round file. maybe there's a smoother transition that could be 3D-printed.

Edited by snowflake - 29 March 2020 at 1:00pm
lisette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 6:11pm
here some recent updates:

and heres a short clip of a first soundcheck (warning: severe microphone clipping when i turn up the volume at ~1:00):

i will go on vacation for 2 weeks now and post some more updates after that.

cheers, lisette
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 11:59am
Top work!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 12:49pm
You copied my idea there, I was totally going to do that one day (3d printed horn adaptor mated to throat). One day being in the next 5 years :D

Great work though, looks nice. Those horns are going to move some air.
lisette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 7:51am
hello, here's a small update:

the real work is done, now all thats left is to paint the horns and do some measurement and DSP work... first measurements indicate ill get a +-3db response from 24Hz-20kHz, which is more than i expected tbh... first rave in august ;)

heres a soundcheck video:

i'll post some curves once i have a chance to measure outdoors....

cheers, lisette
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 2:13pm
You've gone for a pretty big jump in driver size there from tweeter up in the multi entry horns, be interested to see how that works out for you. Always the trade off between size of frustrum for them, volume of air moved at that point in the horn especially for lower frequencies, and how that intereracts with the frequencies above emitting from tweeter which again my interact with frustrums (or not). But if it works ok, it simplifies the design a lot.

Those horns are nuts, be very interested to see measurements if you can make any
middleWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

How loud do you want to do?

Instinctively, 1x 18" sub might not cut it for anything larger than a house party for those genres.

Chris

18" sub only good for a house party? 

i've attended plenty of large/outdoor parties hosted with a single subwoofer. in particular the psytrance guys who would stack two 15 mid-highs on each side, and a single 18" 1000W underneath. it sounded good. 

not everyone is as picky about sound as we are Tongue although yes optimally he will need more. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12