Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hypex Plate Amp faults.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypex Plate Amp faults.
    Posted: 04 November 2019 at 2:15pm
I've been having ongoing problems with the power supply failing on some FA502 plate Amps from Hypex.
So far three out of four purchased have failed.
What's happening is the power supply coil is failing where it is soldered to the PCB.
Hypex have repaired them and then glued or cable tied the coil to the board.
The thing is I've incurred a lot of expense replacing these faulty units and I've been trying to get Hypex to take some responsibility for the failures.
Their stance is the product is not faulty, it's only happening to me and that they glued the coils on after the event as they thought I maybe using their product in a hostile environment (they're in a large stationary permanently installed Speaker enclosure.)
My question to anyone who may know is is it standard practice to rely solely on the solder joint of a heavy coil to keep it attached to the PCB in a plate Amp that is designed to be used in an active Speaker cabinet?
Thanks in advance!
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 2:38pm
I can only mention my experience from building crossovers. In general, a speaker cabinet IS a hostile enviroment. It shakes and vibrates, but, that is waht you expect and the design intent of a plate amp surely, so yes, it should be built in such a way as to survive when used as intended.

With crossover inductors, I always fix the bobbin to the PCB with a rivet (obviously, an all aluminum rived, with an aluminium pull stud)  as we have found the bobbins even if glued do not stay fixed and solder alone will soon fail if the bobbin fixture fails.

The output inductors in similar plate amps (the ones used in RCF/D&B come to mind) have a special plastic bracket screwed to the board, that pokes through the inductors and the inductors are fixed to that with spooge, glue, hotmelt whatever ... certainly not just the wire and solder.

Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 3:05pm
Yes - most (reputable) manufacturers will do more than just rely on solder to hold the heavier components on anything that will go into a speaker cabinet.

On passive crossovers, the better made coils will have flanges that can be riveted to the board. Likewise the high power alu-clad resistors, etc.

It does sound like Hypex are just messing you around, but trying to get any sort of compensation may be difficult and/or expensive, ie using a lawyer. You are really just relying on the good will of the supplier to keep you as a customer.      Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 9:30pm
Thanks a mill lads, you’re confirming what I thought. 
Unfortunately Hypex are not being very cooperative. 

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Daniel S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 5:51am
Basically any manufacturer will only cover their own product under warranty. No other costs for other damaged items or increased costs. That's usually in the fine print.
Distortion is evil
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 8:12am
Doubt you'll get very far trying to get reimbursement for your time or incurred costs.  

In a way the product isnt faulty, its just not good enough quality or robust enough for even a low stress professional application. 

In my opinion the trouble of hypex affixing them properly in the first place is better than getting negative advertising like this which come up when people search for hypex amplifier reviews, hypex plate amp quality, are hypex amps any good etc.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 9:38am
I've got 8 Hypex Fusion Amps out and around in cabs (FA122, FA123, FA251). Had 3 failures with the first lot, but they were within the first 15mins of using them, one DSP module, two amp modules. Hypex replaced all without much back and forth and let me keep a spare amp module for a FA251 they accidentally sent me.

They raised their prices a few months back so I hope they raised the QC. Last 4 modules I have put into cabs have had no issues, but then again they mostly in studio monitors and small DJ monitors in small spaces like records stores.
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 11:05am
It might be an idea to fall back on the datasheets. as far as i know the fusion is based on Ncore technology which mentions professional use as an application. 

Applications • Monitor loudspeakers for recording and mastering studios • Audiophile power amplifiers for professional and consumer use. • Public address systems • Active loudspeakers 

this would contradict a hostile environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply