Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Passive crossover for horn cabinet and tweeter cab
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive crossover for horn cabinet and tweeter cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passive crossover for horn cabinet and tweeter cab
    Posted: 13 November 2019 at 10:58am
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with following issue:

We are building a soundsystem and for most of the technical stuff we already have the right info except for our top section.
We will use a digital crossover to devide the signal into following groups:
Xover 1: sub
Xover 2: kick
Xover 3: mid
Xover 4: high (horn cabinet loaded with 1x rcf n580 and tweeter cabinet loaded with 4x beyma cp16)
Since we are sending this last xover to 2 different speakers/cabinets we tought putting a passive crossover in the tweeterbox so this will only play the needed frequenties. But we were wondering if we also need to install a passive crossover into the horn cabinet ??

Thanks a lot 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 2:04pm
It would be a matter of experimentation, really. The RCF driver + horn probably rolls off at 10kHz naturally, and the CP16's have a good response from about 5kHz up. So you could use no filter on the horn, a simple 12dB/oct crossover at 8kHz on the CP16's, and that might give you a reasonably flat response - if you also match the levels of the two boxes with L-Pads (probably on the CP16's as four of them will be quite sensitive).

However, if the RCF driver/horn combo has any peaks in its upper response due to resonances, you might need to also use a lowpass filter on it. It depends how severe they are. A simple 6dB/oct lowpass might be enough to take care of them.

I would start with the basic highpass filter on the CP16's, and go from there.

If you wire them series-parallel for an impedance of 8 ohms, then a starting point for an 8kHz filter would be a 1.8uF capacitor in series, followed by an 0.23mH inductor in shunt. Use 400v caps and 1mm inductor wire.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Agayu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

It would be a matter of experimentation, really. The RCF driver + horn probably rolls off at 10kHz naturally, and the CP16's have a good response from about 5kHz up. So you could use no filter on the horn, a simple 12dB/oct crossover at 8kHz on the CP16's, and that might give you a reasonably flat response - if you also match the levels of the two boxes with L-Pads (probably on the CP16's as four of them will be quite sensitive).

However, if the RCF driver/horn combo has any peaks in its upper response due to resonances, you might need to also use a lowpass filter on it. It depends how severe they are. A simple 6dB/oct lowpass might be enough to take care of them.

I would start with the basic highpass filter on the CP16's, and go from there.

If you wire them series-parallel for an impedance of 8 ohms, then a starting point for an 8kHz filter would be a 1.8uF capacitor in series, followed by an 0.23mH inductor in shunt. Use 400v caps and 1mm inductor wire.

Thanks man :) 
I was concidering to put a beyma f100 highpass on the tweeters, think they will do the job fine if i'm right ?
And will start off without a filter on the horns and will see what happens..
 Post Reply Post Reply