Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Altec Lansing 816 etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Altec Lansing 816 etc
    Posted: 14 November 2019 at 6:29pm
Hello
Would an altec lansing 816, or similar design perhaps for a 12" or double driver version, work for the 180-600hz range in a multi box setup? 

If so, which modern drivers are best?

Many thanks

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 6:43pm
The Frequency Response of the Altec 816 (If you design it to spec) is 50 Hz - 1000 kHz.

Focus on drivers that offer a Qts of 0.3

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 14 November 2019 at 6:45pm
Elliot Thompson
Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 11:06pm
Thanks for the reply. 

Is it recommended to play them so high though? 

I;d like to use them, basically, and fishing for reasons not to. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2019 at 7:08pm
That is what it was designed to do. Anything pertaining to a straight horn using wood of that era is aimed to play midrange. Bent/Folded horns are aimed for bass.

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2019 at 11:43pm
 I've got slightly modded Altec M17's (I built them slightly narrower than the original plan so they would stack nicely) as my mid section loaded with Fane Studio 12L's running 180-1200hz, the clarity and SPL that these produce considering that they're a very old design loaded with old drivers surprises me everytime I use them, they still do a bloody good job in this day and age IMO. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2019 at 2:47am
The few times I've used the old Fane 12L, I connect them to on an old QSC EX 4000. If you are feeding the old Fane 12L anything less than 800 watts RMS you are really depriving yourself on what those old speakers can do from 100 Hz on up.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 November 2019 at 4:54am
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply