Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier Power Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifier Power Question
    Posted: 21 November 2019 at 11:53am
I've got a pair of 300W full range 8" speakers (60Hz - 20KHz) I use often and I always try to use an amplifier that will give them 450W+ each so that there is a reasonable amount of headroom. If I use a high pass filter so that the speakers only receive frequencies above say 150Hz  would this have any bearing on the amplifier I should use? Does the high pass filter effectively lower the power requirements of the speaker such that it would be acceptable/advisable to use a lower-powered amplifier or should I still be using an amplifier that can supply 450W+?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 3:23pm
If you highpass the speakers the amplifier power requirements go down as bass frequencies usually generate the highest power demands. But also note that the speakers power handling limits will also decrease because the movement bass frequencies generate provides some extra voice coil cooling.
You don't have to use a smaller amplifier though, but if you wanted to repurpose this one and get something smaller for these 8's you could.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 5:18pm
Thanks for the reply Conanski. 

I assumed that the removal of the bass frequencies would probably lower the power requirements but it is good to get that confirmed. I already own a few different amplifiers and I was hoping that the high pass filter would allow me to use a different, lower-powered amplifier that delivers the same (or slightly lower) RMS power as the speaker's RMS power rating.  Going on what you have said, it sounds like this should be possible without particularly risking causing damage to the drivers.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 3:31am
You can safely power a 300w speaker with a 1w amplifier as long as you don't over drive the amp.
 Post Reply Post Reply