Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAB1500 without softstart - tripps 10A breaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 6:41pm
I suppose it depends what else you have on your circuit that the breaker feeds. In the uk our sockets are (should be) on a 20 or 30 (32 euro) type B in domestic premises or more often on a 'C' in commercial settings.

Fitting a 'D' type in any installation is subject to strict rules on earthing arrangements as under genuine fault conditions it may lead to a dangerous situation and not trip either in time or at all...

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 26 March 2020 at 6:41pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 6:44pm
May be a stupid question, but do you only have the one circuit? Or can you try it on another circuit fed from another breaker?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 10:34pm
Ive got a solution....sell it to me! ( please)
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 1:05am
100W lamp in series with the mains and a bypass switch across it....
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 8:43am
If the service center said it passed with flying colours, perhaps ask them what electrical arangements they have there? A friendly chat with them and explain your situation, maybe they have some guidance?

I thought euro wiring was 1.5mm radial on a 16A breaker typically? End user devices then with schuko? Where's this 10A max thing come from?

Edited by spongebob - 27 March 2020 at 8:50am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

100W lamp in series with the mains and a bypass switch across it....

+1

Or one of these:-

LOL LOL LOL

When I first moved into my workshop, a couple of the breakers would trip even on relatively low draws. Apparently the springs do wear out. I replaced and never had any further problems - but you say that you´ve already done that, so who knows.  Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 11:29am
It is correct that once a breaker trips it gets more sensitive, trip it enough times and it can become a real problem.

I thank you all for your kind advices on how to get around this by adding a mains connected diy soft start module, and that is for sure doable, it may very well be the only to get around this, but I hesitate due to the following facts :

A/ I'm crap at electronics diy, especially high power devices and thereby it is a risk not only for me but for those around me.

B/ I really doubt the behaviour of the amp is according to spec, it is old and even LG might have missed something, they are very much humans like the rest of us, therefore I want them to get another chance at looking at it.

C/ If it turns out the LAB1500 is indeed designed to require more than 13A (C) to even start up it would make it, well lets say somewhat uniqe in my book, and it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, which in that case would be prudent as I see it.

Lets see what they say, and lets not neglect the chance of my house having something wierd going on regarding the electric installation, even though everything else, including a couple of LAB1600, is doing just fine on the same supply.

Trying another outlet (10A (C)) group is on the to do list, even though I hold out little hope that the results will be any different, but who knows.

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 12:56pm
The "lamp in series" thing is relatively simple and very useful. I use it often when testing amps, etc. as it saves the mcb´s tripping every time there is a fault.

Also for checking for dodgy or fake BJT´s:-

Edited by Earplug - 27 March 2020 at 12:56pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 11:19am
Late update, I could not get any help from Lab.Gruppen since they have closed up shop and left town, in short they have no production or service facilities left in Sweden under that name, but as it turns out there are others who are qualified to service their amplifiers.

So I got the Lab1500 serviced and it is now starting up just fine and currently powers one ROAR15 per channel, and doing a great job of it, the fans are however almost louder than the system, so next up is to see if I can remedy that somehow.

Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 2:34pm
 As your presumably not running it at max (the fans are there to give it the ability to run flat out).Try totally blocking  the front air intake,use it as you normally do. IF it does not get embarrasingly hot or trip its thermal protection  you could  put a switch between them if you want to sometimes  go PA .  Worth a quick  experiment ?
OR ignore what I just said because I had my personal "bodge it to get the gig done" head on..
PS, thats one tasty home system you got there

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 12 August 2021 at 11:59pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2021 at 10:36pm
Or could use a thermal contoller like on a computer? If theyre 12v pretty much all the computer stuff should be useable?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2021 at 4:59am
Concerning the setup, thanks, the linesources will soon-ish be replaced by a couple of 15"1,4" tops (15ndl88 and hf146 on xt1464).

The fans on the lab1500 may be subject to start-up diagnostics, not sure, but disengaging them should be risk free as far as protections goes, but seeing this is an old amp the components might age more rapidly if exposed to high temperatures repeatedly.

With this in mind and without knowing for sure if there are any components subject to slow but steady temperature raise even at very low output power, such as those in the psu or even the output devices them selves, remember labgruppens output cooling is heavily dependent on airflow (copper film based) I still feel a fan replacement is the better choise.

The computer fan field is interesting, there are two larger fans, and I want to recall the service guy mentioned they where connected in a bit an odd way, I believe he mentioned in series, which seems bad in many ways, I better check this.

Would be nice to be able to use it, I have currently replaced it with a lab1600, which sounds just fine, I have two of these, the other one is powering the linesources.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12