Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

System plan sanity check

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System plan sanity check
    Posted: 17 December 2019 at 9:26am
I have been commissioned by my college to build a system for £5000. After speaking to people on here in person, and a lot of lurking on here, I have a vague outline of what I want to build. Just want to weigh in on people's experience to give their opinions on the plan:

4-way system using Behringer DCX

SUB: 3x Super Scooper loaded with Oberton 18XB1300s powered off one channel of a VOID Inf8 v2

KICK: HD215 loaded with Fane Sovereign 15-400s powered off other Inf8 channel

MID/TOP: 2x MT121s loaded with recommended P-Audio drivers, powered off a VOID Inf5

The budget including cabling, transport, workshop time etc is sitting around £4500, giving us a bit of redundancy should sh*t hit the fan!

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to properly joining the system community soon!Wink
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 9:56am
For what purpose does this college want this system, its use will to a large extent define its format.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
finnchapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnchapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 9:59am
Cheers for the reply,
Will be used by the students of the college (and hired out to events etc) for playing a range of DJed music - dub, dubstep, techno, jungle etc etc
All DJ gear is already owned, so a loud, clear, weighty system to make people dance is the build spec
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 11:17am
For that kind of money, one could get a second hand pro system able to run stereo and still give the same or Better output. Have you looked around second hand market?
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2019 at 12:11pm
Agreed on the second hand market as you will get a better system. Building a system from scratch is only really worth doing if you (the owner of the system) wants a) the pleasure of knowing it came from your hands and b) to adapt and upgrade the system over its lifetime.

I guess that you wont always be at the college and at some point it will pass into the control of someone else. This is always a worry especially with systems owned by schools, community groups and the like. Theres no doubt that what you propose will be a great system if put together right and ran well but you can't always guarantee this. it is also as a mono stack quite inflexible in terms of different venues, music styles and hire outs.

I know it hasn't quite got the "cool look" of what you propose but a BR system of some (2 - 4) twin 18s (G sub) with some two way tops will be much more flexible. The money saved from loosing the kick you can put into really good drivers all round. After many years of playing with systems, I finally realised that the quality of a system is only as good as its weakest link. spending an extra £100 on your comps will greatly improve any system. Also, Having owned a massive stack of HD15s in the past, they really need to be in largeish groups to get good value per box. A BR system with good 15 section on mids certainly wont lack kick and provides the flexibility of running the tops full range if needed.

Oh and in terms of the "boring" look of a BR system, there are many ways you can pimp them up, varnished wood, camo sprayed grills, branding and other ideas brings them into the world of urban styles of music.

blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply