Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faital pro HF144 vs HF146

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faital pro HF144 vs HF146
    Posted: 03 January 2020 at 4:52pm
Can anybody please tell me the difference between these two comps?

HF144 - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTPHF144AP&browsemode=manufacturer

HF146 - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTPHF146AP&browsemode=manufacturer

They have the same spec and cost the same (Blue Aran) but have different output graphs.

I'm looking at mounting either one onto an LTH142 horn (60 x 50 -6dB)

The aim (theory so far) is to cross in at 2.2 to 2.5khz.

Looking at the graphs I'm leaning towards the HF144, although it's not as flat, the dip around 2.3khz looks like it will suit being crossed there. The wide dip roughly 4-8khz looks to follow a favourable equal loudness contour and the flatish shelf 9-12k again seems favourable.

The only downside really is a poor response 12/13khz and up.

Any thoughts and advice would be great.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 8:18pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 8:45pm
there's also the 146R now - which seems to have a shorter coil and therefore greater max excursion
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

there's also the 146R now - which seems to have a shorter coil and therefore greater max excursion

Cheers for the reply snokeflake. I should have probably googled for another 5 mins and I may have found that website!

Interesting that they improved a model but felt the tonal characteristics were of worthy merit enough to keep it.

Did you have any thoughts about how it would perform on that horn from 2.5 and up?

Have you heard either before?

Nice one!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:23pm
i've got the HF146 on a unity horn. very happy with them in that appliction
wsl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 11:37pm
I had the HF144 on 18S XT1464
very brilliant and still smooth

for more Power, now I have 18S NSD1480N

Edited by wsl - 03 January 2020 at 11:38pm
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by wsl wsl wrote:

+1  I have HF146 on XT1464 crossed at 950Hz with no problems. Sounds great. I also use HF10AK and HF108. Love the Faital HF drivers. Smooth and non fatiguing is how I would describe all the ones I've used. 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 12:39am
Originally posted by MPASOUND MPASOUND wrote:

Originally posted by wsl wsl wrote:

+1  I have HF146 on XT1464 crossed at 950Hz with no problems. Sounds great. I also use HF10AK and HF108. Love the Faital HF drivers. Smooth and non fatiguing is how I would describe all the ones I've used. 

Nice that XT1464 is pretty similar to the horn I've got in mind so that's encouraging to hear. The intention is to have an 8 inch running ~400 to ~2.2khz and let the 1.4 take over from there.

A one inch comp might be a better option to really hit those highs but tbh I'm not bothered about much over 18khz. I'm too deaf to hear anything above that and I bet half my audience is too.

I think I'm going to go with the HF144 and maybe if I get a chance to try a HF146 I will.

Appreciate all the replies folks! The 3way mid-top build is coming on very slowly haha!

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 10:19am
Why such a big HF driver if you cross at 2.2Khz?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I was thinking the same. It's not just about reaching higher but the breakup would be higher up with a comparable 1" comp. Thats definitely something you can't see on the standard spec sheet from Faital, because of their 10dB line division.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 11:54am
I see the BMS 4540 a perfect candidate for the job here.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Good point, a few reasons really.

I got the saw out early and built the cabs around some horns that I could no longer get.

All things considered, dispersion aesthetics, availability, flexibility and so on I found another horn that fit the space I had and these are the drivers I wound up at.

Plus after a while I saw the benefits of having a 1.4 inch comp, as in being able to be crossed lower.. so I could use it in others boxes that are only 2 way, say for future projects.

Post Reply Post Reply