Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preferred Covering for speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freakindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preferred Covering for speakers
    Posted: 19 January 2020 at 2:30pm
Looking at 2 options and would like to get your opinions

1st option DuraTex
I know there is a variant of this acrylic coating under the name TuffCoat available in Europe but this is what we have here. It is a "Roll On" coating similar to what you find on JBL's MRX series speakers. It appears to be hard enough to give the speaker a slight "Resonance" a bit like what Ram Monitors was doing with their chunk fiberglass coatings.

2nd Option Speaker Cabinet Carpet Covering

Well it is not going to chip, It does get soiled and it difficult to clean compared to coatings but it is VERY Forgiving of bumps and clumbsey Roadies.

Edited by Freakindj - 19 January 2020 at 2:42pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 4:58pm
Tuffcoat or Duratex is better overall, easier to clean, it doesn't collect odors, seals the wood and provides a level of water/moisture protection and it just looks more Pro. That said when done properly the fabric covering doesn't show skuffs and can be cleaned with a stiff bristle brush, but will collect a lot of dust if used outdoors. Installing it correctly means no joints at outside corners they have to be in the middle of flat panels so some planning and a bit of skill is required to create tight seams.
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 6:31pm
Carpet makes tour boxes look old/cheap. Use paint, and expect to re paint when required. 
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 1:47pm
Velour looks kind of pimpish, especially leopard skin print in purple and black .
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
Freakindj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freakindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 2:02pm
Just so everyone knows ….

I went with the DuraTex and after 3 coats I am pretty happy with the results. A couple of tips not listed in the directions that help the process of coating your cabinets

"Round the Corners" I used my sander during my final sanding to smooth the hard edges. It is a better look and feel but it also helps the coating to be a little more chip resistant.

Use a good wood filler for any chips, screw holes, counter sinks and a thorough final sanding before applying your coating. They can and well so through even after several coats.

Make sure your roller handle "Rolls" well. Any sliding of the roller applicator ruins the crinkle finish look

Plan to Roll from multiple directions to prevent any lines in your finish.

It cleans up well with just soap and water as long as you don't let it dry out so you can get a couple applications from the special roller you will need to buy with the Duratex.
 Post Reply Post Reply