Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BSS FDS 360 - really quiet output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

If not already try crossover cables on the input & output of the FDS  so pin2 to pin3 input and pin3 back to pin2 for the output link

Done this already 
Trig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

What mixer are you connecting to the BSS? I did have a hum problem with my omnidrive when connected to my Pioneer DJM 900 which was because both the mixer and omnidrive are floating ground. Earthing the mixer fixed the issue.

An Allen and heath xone 22, and a xone 62 
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 7:58pm
sometimes a link inside the XLR plugs from pin 1 to the shell tag is enough to sort the buzzing. It offers a signal path between mixer ground and mains earth.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Trig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

sometimes a link inside the XLR plugs from pin 1 to the shell tag is enough to sort the buzzing. It offers a signal path between mixer ground and mains earth.

I'll give that a try, which cable, and which end? The cable between the mixer and the crossover at the mixer end? Or at the crossover end?? Or both
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 8:49pm
both ends if you like but BSS end in particular
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Trig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 10:12pm
So it's the xone 22 causing the signal hum. Running off the 62 it's fine! 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 11:01pm
did you try my suggestion?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Trig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

did you try my suggestion?
No, realised I hadn't tried with the 62 and that should be earthed properly cos it's on a kettle lead, the 22 has a power cable with a transformer and no earth

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 8:16pm
If I remember correctly there is a note in the BSS manual about earthing and that it follows the convention that shielding should come from the source equipment which I think means that the inputs on the FDS360 are floating and there is no shield connection.  Running from the 62 which is earthed meets that requirement but the 22 is floating so you've ended up with no effective shielding on those cables.  Kevin's suggestion may work around this issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234