Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crown 5002/5000vz replacement capacitors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 5:35pm
YOu will have to get exactly the same size because the VZ modules are held in place by the capacitor terminals, and the capacitors are clamped at the bottom by a pair of plastic clamps around their base. If they're too thin or thick the clamps wont fit and if they're to short they wont reach the clamp, which is mounted from the side. Without the clamps the main DC busbars are free to touch the metal lid etc which will not end well. There's only about 4mm clearance with the correct capacitors.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 5:43pm

Good point….. It’s a very, very long time since I’ve worked on one of these!!

snowphish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 6:09pm
It doesn't look like there's any solution for a direct fit. 

I will Macgyver / maybe 3D print something to keep everything in place with whatever replacements I find.

the DC bus bar is also held in place by the output module anyway so it's not really that free to move 

Edited by snowphish - 27 February 2020 at 6:10pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 7:43pm
oh it's free to move perfectly adequately if the clamps aren't tight.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 8:09pm
Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier that I may have a pair of used ones in stock, I’ll check tomorrow if I remember. 
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
snowphish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by service dept Steve service dept Steve wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier that I may have a pair of used ones in stock, I’ll check tomorrow if I remember. 

Got a reply from Harman, unlike the Canadian distributor who I guess doesn't care to help out, they still have some for $70.98USD ea+shipping ... Let me know if you do and want to sell one and ship to Canada.
logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 7:01pm
Did you get your caps sorted out?  I have a a set from an Amcron 5000 I am parting out.  Need any other parts by chance?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12