Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMD soldering & WD40 solves everyfinn!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMD soldering & WD40 solves everyfinn!
    Posted: 25 January 2020 at 10:11am
So....... a friend had one of those small akai midi keyboards with a broken mini usb port...... mechanical failure of solder joints. The connector is basically held in place by four solder joints, and two protruding nubs nesting in holes in the pcb...... 

Having watched a load of crazy Lewis' apple product repair videos, i realized i need some flux liquid for this project. Grabbed a 50 ml container from ye local electronics supplier, that had four health&safety warnings on it Confused

So i cleaned up the connector and board, drenched everything in flux, and soldered away....  everything lining up and going well, except two pins shorted. I tried and tried and tried, but no matter how much, flux, scraping this way, that way, couldnt get the two pads to separate. Ouch

After knocking over the damn flux bottle and spilling half of it, we decided to wipe up the goo, get out of the room, let it air a little bit and gave a break.Censored

And along comes epiphany. Google usb mini pinout pcb -> wtFook, pin 5 in use, pin 4 n/c by standard. Embarrassed

Connect ribbon cable, connect to laptop -> Eureka!
Put it back together, hotglue the damn connector, success.

Moral of the story: do your homework before soldering LOL

But then what about that sticky flux residue that is stickier than a teenage boys trash bin contents? Angry turns out wd40 dissolves the gunk like it was nuthin. Big smile 

Happy weekend lads! 

Edited by bob4 - 25 January 2020 at 10:11am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 8:52pm
I think the approved method is Isopropyl Alcohol
Kevin

North Staffordshire

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 9:18am

^^ This.... WD40 leaves a sticky mess that will gather dust!!

Post Reply Post Reply