Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo skating rink? 50 speaker circle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo skating rink? 50 speaker circle?
    Posted: 27 January 2020 at 2:09am
I maintain the sound system for a few skating rinks. 3 of them had 1 center circular cluster of 6 QSC K12s with subs scattered around when I took over. They still have a rink with the old style set up of 8 tops (4 hanging along each side) that will need an upgrade soon.

The single center clusters are great for the intelligibility of the DJ when they talk and the sound is pretty consistent throughout. The problem is that the skaters left ear gets blasted all night, as well the bass being inconsistant depending on where you are at.

The voice intelligibility of the 8 scattered tops is terrible but the music sounds better (while on the floor), giving a more euphoric stereo surround effect. Unfortunately there is also the constant LOUD soft LOUD soft as you pass by the speakers spaced about 40' apart. 

So this brings me to the strange idea of a stereo skating rink sound system. It would start with the same basic center mounted circular cluster (6 custom built 12" 2-way). I would also fly 4 18" subwoofers above that center cluster so they would all be time aligned no matter where you are in the rink. This center cluster would be the "left" channel and all the DJ announcements would only come out of this center cluster. The "right" channel would consist of 40-50 small speakers (6.5" 2-way) spaced about 8-10" feet apart that would circle the entire outer edge of the rink. No announcements would come out of these speakers. You would get stereo sound pretty much anywhere you were on the rink floor. Also with them being spaced so close, I don't think the LOUD soft LOUD soft would be that bad.

Any thoughts on this setup would be appreciated.

Edited by SonicXtasy - 27 January 2020 at 2:11am
The member formally known as vwbidder.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 11:36pm

If you feel such an investment will bring in more revenue, by all means give it go. However, if you are not going to gain more profit is such a project, a few distribution amplifiers will balance out the levels using the current loudspeakers throughout a skating rink.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 11:16am
What about going down the Concert road? Main PA and delays? But instead of Main PA being bigger than delays, just use the same amount trough all?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 12:19pm
Most of your problem is poor acoustics. Treat the acoustics as much as possible and install a centre hung cluster over the ice would be my route.

This might be worth a read (i haven't read it all,  just recalled there was a thread on this subject)

SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 3:30am
Elliot: This is my little pet project to try and get a more enjoyable listening experience on the roller rink floor while maintaining good vocal intelligibility. The 40-50 speakers would be custom built by me using budget drivers and probably 3x7 piezo horns. I cringe thinking about using them but with some time in the crossover I think an acceptable sound quality can be achieved (considering how bad the acoustics of the room are). Also there would be a ratio of 6-8 small "right" cabs to cover the spread that a single center mounted "left" 12" 2-way would cover so their "max" output isn't a huge concern. Not including my time, I estimate the additional cost of the 40-50 speakers, 2 amps and cabling to add another $4k to the upgrade. I think the owner would pay the extra if it worked like I think it might.

Foo: There isn't really a "stage" to start from and delay from there. If we just kept the 4 per side setup, delaying  some cabs will make some areas sound better and other areas sound worse.

JohB67: The center cluster is what is used in their other rinks. Their overall sound is good but I hate just getting blasted in the left ear all night. I reread that post, there was some good info but nothing related directly to what I am asking,

The member formally known as vwbidder.
 Post Reply Post Reply