Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3-Way system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wt-club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-Way system
    Posted: 01 February 2020 at 6:07pm
Hello everyone, 
I have never posted on this forum so hope I asked this in the right place. English is also not my native language so my apologies if I make any mistakes.

For the past weeks I have been planning a little 3-way soundsystem mainly for playing dub & reggae roots. 

I'm currently building 2 Eminence 15"scoops, loaded with 500W Beyma drivers and a crossover @ 150 Hz or 180 Hz.
I was thinking about 1x15" bin for the mid-bass region but after searching the web I couldn't really find any good plans.
As for the top, I'll create my own design since the inside doesn't really matter that much.

All x-overs & amps are very easy and cheap for me to buy so that isn't really an issue. 

My question for you guys is if you have any recommendations for mid/top speakers, that works well with a scoop design. Would it be better to use a design with 2x12" speakers or just with one 15" driver.

Thanks!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 6:07pm
Many years ago I went to maybe three nightclubs (each around 500 capacity) that had the same basic speaker layout.

On each of the four corners of the dancefloor was a double 15" scoop (JBL 4520).

Flown above the dancefloor at each end, was a 2 x 12" angled mid cabinet, together with an acoustic lens and a slot tweeter.

I guess that this was an industry standard set up for clubs of that size, and certainly sounded good to me.

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 7:54pm
Using scoops, I would suggest to run 'em not higher as 100-110 Hz to avoid somewhat the typical dip in response they have. Pretty much any 15" or double 12" can do 100-110 Hz and up with ease, so no need to have a crossover of 150-180 Hz, which already is more mid than mid-bass anyway and not something you want to feed scoops with, if you want to have it sound halfway decent
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2020 at 8:00pm
if you are set on 3-way then use 12" and 1.4" compression driver.

it is worth going at least four-way though. use a 6" and 1" compression driver above 12" or 15".
 Post Reply Post Reply