Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check Your Hard Drive!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 6:04pm
As a matter of interest, what sort of price would I expect to pay for data recovery from a physically damaged hdd (seagate 3tb 3000dm003). My nas took a tumble courtesy of a sky "engineer" (dont get me started) a couple of years ago. 

Its just reappeared on my to do list today as Ive discovered my firestick wont communicate with my usb hdd unless its formatted in FAT32 or connected via a router. It would have been convenient if I could just slot another hdd into my old nas but that also doesnt want to play ball.

In the course of my messing I thought Id see if any data was recoverable from the old drive via a usb caddy but it wont recognise the drive and only shows 3.86gb via disk management. thinking it may be an issue related to win10 not liking discs over 2tb, I tried to convert the driveto GPT but was met with an i/o error.

Conclusion: doorstop or lab recovery required

So, waffle over; whats the going rate for recovery?
LOUDER THAN LOUD
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 7:43pm
Using the caddy option  is often handy - I had a dead hdd some while back that I was  told was fubared by my local PC shop. I took the offending hdd home, put it  in a caddy and was immediately able to access it via a spare  laptop. Turns out the problem was a number ofdvery large dump files that were generated by Window bsods which, when deleted, allowed the  drive to be used on the or original PC.  Incidentally, there is an article about the use of SSDs in enterprise  applications in the Guardian or Telegraph this  morning that I have still to read but is relevant to their general use.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 2:43am
RAID, or RAID or RAID.

If you want to find your data where you left it use RAID.

If you want to keep your data use a back-up, cloud, NAS, TAPE, but any data you only have in one place you have declared you don't give a toss about, any data in one place on a single device is as good as lost.

As for SSDs, if you move your kit about they are 20x better than even an enterprise level SAS spindle drive, but again, you need back-ups.

Use Ghost, Carbon copy-cloner or DD to make bootable recovery images of your machines and put them somewhere safe, saves hours if you do have a crash, but above all have multiple copies of your data, really hardcore storage solutions come up on ebay all the time for pennies, a 12 hole 3.5" SATA/SAS HP Proliant  (or some dell crapper) can but bought for sub £100, drop Raid 6 ADG onto that and run freenas/Nakivo  and keep it powered down to save electric most of the time, but at least twice a month sync to it.

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12