Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

logic cs1290b 6th order EQ help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: logic cs1290b 6th order EQ help.
    Posted: 16 February 2020 at 6:57pm
So these bins need a 9db boost at xover?

I found these numbers from an old post:

STEREO 2 WAY
X OVER LOW OUT:
HIGH PASS 40Hz LR12
LOW PASS 150 Hz LR24
GAIN 0 dB

EQ:
LOW OUT PEQ 1
SHAPE BELL
FREQUENCY 40Hz
GAIN 9dB
Q 0.94

They are for the original system obviously..

My question is this: Will these cabs work with that setting in any rig? Or are there other details to address to make them work well. I believe the answer to be yes but I'm not confident. That LR12 looks a bit shallow for safety that low down the frequency range? Any advice much appreciated.

do they present any unusual issues in use? I also know they were designed to get the same amplifier signal the subs got. Is that a viable option once removed from the complete LOGIC system? Not the same amp maybe although that would be useful) but the same dsp signal? A pair of these with the subs running up to 150 as well? All on the same xover and eq?
That's feels a bit high to cross out the 18'' subs, I'd be more likely to match both subs and these at the low end and then cross out the subs at 80.

Any advice or thought on this crossover set up with these bins would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Noyzmunky - 16 February 2020 at 7:21pm
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 12:40am
You can use factory settings as a means of reference and take it from there in terms of tonal preference. A lot of manufactures have a particular style of music in mind (Think of it as the old Aiwa Mini Systems with ROCK/POP/JAZZ presets) in which, can give you are starting point. You are not obligated to use such presets but moreover as a means of help for those who are not very literate with equalisation.

Once you are using different tops than the recommended choice from the manufacture, you can tune the box to what sounds most pleasing to your ear. Bear in mind because you are focusing on a Garden Setup, a lot of precautions do not apply to you compared to using them for a Rave or Rock event.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 2:29am
Yeah no way I'd run a sub that high either, I agree with Elliot use whatever crossover frequency that blends well with your system.

As for the boost that is a common thing with many types of subs.. at tuning frequency driver excursion is at a minimum so it will take more input there, whether that helps overall depends upon a lot of things. Bandpass designs are often pretty terrible 1 note wonders and that boost can broaden the response and make it more musical. It will also help the boxes dig lower but you have to be careful because below tuning the driver is unloaded and easily damaged, so yeah a steeper high pass filter wouldn't be a bad idea... especially if you have lots of power behind the driver.
This is one of those situations where I'd want to do some testing, measure the boxes and apply enough EQ to flatten response but no more, set a high pass that doesn't intrude too much.. a 24dB butterworth filter naturally adds a little boost just above cutoff, add limiting and call it good.

Edited by Conanski - 17 February 2020 at 2:34am
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 9:50am
I have a complete 1296 system. Only used it once but got the settings from an original source.

Dialled them in to a DP226 and it worked really well.

I must admit I did scratch my head as to how it would work with the 18” and the twin 15 being linked through with both boxes on the same set of pins.
But the 18 seemed to be taking all the low and the twin 15 taking all the upper bass. 
Maybe there is some sort of electronics inside the boxes? I have never opened them.

Good little system for the money though.

Edited by jacethebase - 17 February 2020 at 9:50am
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 10:36am
uploads/995/DSP_Settings.pdf

not sure if that's worked but its all explained in that sheet from logic , the subs and bass cabs are designed to work in the same pass band and are well protected from over excursion .

Edited by Djdarch - 17 February 2020 at 10:40am
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 10:37am
Cheers guys, that's really helped me frame it all in my mind. Good to know I'm On the right track and you've given me plenty to add in.

Great information as always. It's a confidence boost to experiment. thanks.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 7:15pm
The more you experiment, the greater you will have an understanding of your sound system. Try not to get caught up in the preset only mentality that is very popular today. For every preset you implement, the lower the chances of you having the ability to troubleshoot your sound system when something is not functioning properly.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2020 at 7:25pm
yeah I always did it by feel in the dark days of my audio career. I'v been away from it for so long though I can't be sure of what I know and what I'v forgotten... It really helps having a sounding board to test ideas.
 Post Reply Post Reply