Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting Up Music Truck for Carnival

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting Up Music Truck for Carnival
    Posted: 28 February 2020 at 6:30am
Good Day Everyone :) 
It's been a while since I've last been on this forum. It feels so good to be back. I've upgraded my sound system alot and actually started doing gigs :D

I have a question, if you all can help :)
I've been searching all over and asking advice but no one has helped :(

Here in Trinidad, we do a lot of music trucks. My question is, what are some things i should be aware of when setting up a system as such. 
Let's say a Stack of 4 bass cabs and 4 mid tops on the rear, and 2 stacks of 4 bass cabs and 4 mid tops on each sides ans well as 4 mid tops on the front.

Would one need to delay the bass cabs  or channge polarity so that the bass is "heavy" and nice/ evenly sounding all around the truck? In addition does this apply to the mid tops as well.

The reason I asked is during this Carnival season i heard a lot of music trucks and there was hardly any bass - Probably cancellation? and the entire system just didn't sound right. I may have a gig as such next year and I'd like to be prepared or at least know what to expect. 

Thank you in advance for your time and advise :)
Apex Predator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 6:37am
I currently use
-Yorkville LS1208 Copies, I built myself (Loaded with RCF G400) 
-Eaw Kf850 Copies, Built also by myself ( Loaded with Eminence Kappa 15 a, Eminence Delta 10 a and Selenium 3305 Ti Compression Drivers)
- Qsc RMX 5050 on the LS 1208 (Stereo 4 ohm)
- Behringer Ep 4000 on the Kappa 15 A's (Stereo 4 Ohm)
- American Audio V3001 Plus on the Delta 10 A's (Stereo 4 Ohm)
- American Audio V 3001 Plus on the Selenium 3305 Ti (Stereo 4 ohm)
- BBE DS48 Processor
- Behringer Xenyx 1222fx Mixing Board 
- Numark NS7 (First Generation) as the DJ Console
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 6:37am
I use delay to focus the bass where i want it, from effectively omnidirectional to focused behind the truck, or even in the direction of the judging stand, as appropriate...

The techniques used are no different from any other directional gradient array, plenty of simulation software around such as EASE Focus etc in which you can have a play to see what “should” happen
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Apex Predator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 6:40am
Ok so the main focus would be on the bass cabs really. And let's say we want to focus the bass on the rear end of the truck, we would have to delay the rear stack in a sense to "bring them up to the sides" so they "act as one". Sorry if my terms are off and i used improper jargons. I'm still a novice and learning 
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 9:06am
You don't want them to act as One (that way you improve the front an back  radiation, quite the opposite), you want them to cancel out in some places and sum in others, and You get this thru the phase relationship. If you
want to focus the bass in the back you could look for "end fire array" bass steering technique. Basically you should find a center frequency you want to focus, let's say 60 hz, then space the subwoofer one quarter of the choosen wavelenght front to back, then delay them (from back to front, so the furthest from truck backk gets no delay, then more delay as you go to the back) another quarter wavelenght. If You don't understand this look how frequencies have a wavelenght that could beexpressed in time or in distance.
 The effect Will be that in front of the stack the subs sum in phase, as the 1/4wavelenght distance Is made up with the 1/4 wavelenght delay, while at the back the Two quarter wavelenghts of delay (physical + time) sum to half wavelenght difference, so the subs are 180 degrees out of phase and Will cancel each other.

You could also increase side cancellation if you do Two rows or this leaving 1/2 wavelenght spacing between the subs center to center, as before half wavelenght difference Means cancellation. 60 hz Is something like 5,7 meters, so half wavelenght like 2.8 meters, if your subs are 60 cm wide that means Two meters in between Them.

This Is just One way to go, there are different types of directional arrays you could look for,  search form terms like end fire, cardioid or gradient array

Edited by Jo bg - 28 February 2020 at 9:09am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Apex Predator Apex Predator wrote:

Good Day Everyone :) 

The reason I asked is during this Carnival season i heard a lot of music trucks and there was hardly any bass - Probably cancellation? and the entire system just didn't sound right. I may have a gig as such next year and I'd like to be prepared or at least know what to expect. 

Thank you in advance for your time and advise :)

The systems do not sound right because of the increase of large banners being draped all over the truck throughout the years. I understand the reasons behind having such banners. However once you block the air path of the horn's mouth with thick nylon/vinyl material, you end up with a muffled sound. 

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2020 at 6:37pm
PA scrim material will help here but will result in some HF and upper midband attenuation ( and reflection),  but you learn to live with them. Our carnival float last summer was completely covered in scrims
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
littlbeast23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlbeast23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 3:57am
do you have plans for the kf850s you built??
 Post Reply Post Reply