Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

small rig opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 8:53pm
Scotty, here is some basic  information about the most common loudspeaker enclosure types.

In the end, building your system is a matter of your taste, and your personal capabilities/skills/resources. What works great for one person, might not work for the next man. There is no right or wrong. Just decisions, good or bad, informed or uninformed, or totally stupid, ranging to disastrious.

You still havent provided much information about your situation. Prospective venues? Storage space? Transportation? Finance? Tools available? Workspace for construction? Local suppliers (wood etc...). YOUR NEIGHBOURS? 

All those should be considered. Do you plan on using the setup at home? Does it even fit in there? Can you even crank it up enough to justify building two double18" bins?

Tbh, without further information, and considering your age, i would advise to take it slowly, and build smaller. A pair of Single driver bass reflex bins. Single 15" or 18". Less heavy, easier to transport, scalable. 

There is  no difference between 2x18" in a double enclosure, or two single enclosures, provided the cabinet volume per driver and the reflex tuning are identical.

Building takes time, and you tie up precious money in the  materials. It all adds up quickly. Give yourself enough time to get everything right, you will make mistakes regardless, and you will learn. In the beginning it takes a lot of time, but the more you do it the faster and more confident you become as you gain experience and learn how to manage the process. It's a lot of fun, but can also be very frustrating. 

Because of all this, again, i advise you to start small, unless there are special, p reviously unmentioned highly favourable circumstances.

Edited by bob4 - 02 March 2020 at 8:55pm
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 9:53pm
In the other thread you got a really nice three-way system box so in my opinion this should be your starting point.. ceharden can give you the rough specifications and after that it is a matter of choosing the right build for you.  If you go fo a horn underneath it delays and such might come in to play, a steeper learning curve as opposed to staying at reflexloaded
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 10:08pm
This is all very sensible advice you're being given.

However, if you want to make as much sub bass noise as humanly possible (which seems likely for a D&B rig) then you should look at scoops. That's what we did back in the day for jungle and it was the right thing for us to start out with. It all moved on eventually and I do run reflex now which sounds cleaner but if I was doing a D&B rig again it'd be scoops all the way.

Don't test the champignon sound
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 10:35pm
Storage space and transportation isn’t a issue for me but I can see why it can be for others as they some designs are massive and weigh loads. Building wise, my mate is in his third year of carpentry at college and he has agreed to help me along the way to get started on some things. On the neighbour and house part my parents said I’m not allowed these type of speakers in the house ahahaha, had a problem when I had a party when they went on holiday back in the year 11 days.
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 10:36pm
Yeah ceharden is really helping me out a lot to be honest, made a big kick start on something to build off 
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 10:37pm
Meat, this is what I’ve been told about scoops they are what you want for dnb&jungle, however a lot of people have told me to build reflex designs so I’m stuck in the middle at this moment in time .
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2020 at 7:56am
The posters above aren't wrong but there is a choice to be made - the reflex will be MUCH easier to build and sound good. It will also go deep. The downsides with reflex are efficiency and amp power required.

Scoops are often reccomended for DnB and jungle simply because they're just about the loudest sub bass cabs out there. They come with a bunch of downsides - large size,  difficult build, can be tricky to integrate properly with the rest of a system, but they absolutely pump for jungle when you get it right.

You can make a reflex rig just as loud as a scoop one but it'll involve a larger number of drivers and probably bigger, pricier amps. The tops need to cross much lower for a scoop rig as your crossover will probably be between 60 and 80Hz so they'd tend to have 15s rather than 12s (we did make do with 12s on our first scoop rig BITD though).
Don't test the champignon sound
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2020 at 1:24pm
Having looked at your answer and the other thread about the pair of "gift horses" you are going to collect, i have no further objections.....  LOL

You might as well go straight for hogs or other scoops. You should be able to cross fairly low with those full range monster cabs. For starters you will be fine without kick bins, with 2 15" woofers on bass/low mid duty  per side Shocked
scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2020 at 2:09pm
Looks like that’s what I’ll be doing, thank you all for the info it’s all really helpful 
just love jungle tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12