Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matrix?
    Posted: 12 March 2020 at 2:45pm
Hi all, i'm looking for an amp to run 2.5k per channel at 4ohms. I've used and liked using Matrix in the past and i'm considering purchasing another one. There's been a lot of different opinions on them on here. Can anyone explain why some people dont like them or why they may not be suitable for pro work?What other options do people prefer?
Thanks
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:10pm
It seems most complaints are about reliability, some users experiencing problems, occasionally the ability to run sub bass at 4ohms per channel has been put into question.. I've got 4 matrix amps currently and personally I'm very happy with both reliability and performance.. it's also reassuring to know that the company is based in the uk and has a very good reputation for servicing and repairing their products.. 
I did once have a concern about one of my xt800's, contacted Robin at Matrix who offered to check it over and service/repair if needed, it cost me the postage to send it to them.. a problem was found and fixed and it was returned to me at no cost..   
Reverence Sound system

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 3:24pm
There was an issue on some early models of the MF range, where the PSU tended to pop when the amp was played hard. A hardware update fixed the issue. So I guess they have bad rep for this.
Also, the amp is pretty basic in functionnality : xlr inputs and speakon outputs, gain pot, done. No stereo // parrallel // bridge select switch, sensitivity select switch, on board crossover, on board limiter or dsp, nothing fancy. So depending on your needs it may lack functionnality. Also they don't do 2ohms by default (they are models optimised for 2ohms, though)
I own 1x XT7000MF, 1x XT10000MF (they drive 4x18" sub cabs each) and 1x XT6004 (on kicks and medium duty), they all play flawlessly, except the xt7000MF that didn't have the update when bought, so the PSU went bang once. Sent it to Matrix and they repaired it quick and cheap, the parcel price was several times the price of the repair.  No issues since.
I like how they sound, pretty neutral to my ears, very clean on bass compared to other/older amps (no added distortion, nothing obvious at least)
I'm looking to buy another xt6004 so my amps match (and to get rid of the heavyweight ones)
I like the heaps of headroom they provide, the light weight, the clean sound, and the fact they are not so known in France so it's more difficult to copy my control tower ;)
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 5:59pm
Good amps in the rave scene, there are better equipped options in the pro world. Have a tendency to pop if pushed on generator power. so I am lead to believe but bang for buck they are good for the job.
I used to know Andy many years ago and he always wanted to make good kit and happy customers.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2020 at 8:47pm
I run my tops on an xt6004. I really like the sound of it, and the factory support is second to none. 

Post Reply Post Reply