Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cone ripped.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 5:12pm
Fane are about my favourite brand. They make a lot of very good drivers and IMO their Sovereign range represents the best value for money from any manufacturer in terms of having good sound, being hard to blow up and low in price. They were the first guys to use glass fibre composite as the voice coil former, which being a very stable material at high temperatures, resulted in a big leap in power handling for their large bass drivers at the time, compared to other manufacturers. 

PD are considered a step up from Fane in terms of price and overall quality. They don't have a "budget" range like Sovereign. Their most popular product is, or used to be, the PD1850. Very few drivers can match the output of an 1850 in a scoop or folded horn. It just gets incredibly loud without blowing up. But, not everyone likes the sound.

I personally probably wouldn't specify PD drivers for midrange or highs. Just because they cost too much for what they can do compared to Fane's offerings. I might go for a PD loaded bass section though. 

In actuality neither manufacturer has anything particularly good for high frequencies - Fane has more of a range, and the budget CD135 1" driver is pretty awesome for the extremely low price - but their other 1" and 1.4" offerings are nowhere near as capable as units from B+C, BMS and Celestion. The Continental manufacturers just seem to make better tweeters. PD I think have one compression driver in their range and nobody uses it. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 6:55pm
PD and Fane are the same company!!

Fane International Limited:
Sovereign House,
Gilcar Way,
Wakefield Europort,
Castleford,
West Yorkshire,
WF10 5QS,

Head Office:
Precision Devices
Sovereign House
Gilcar Way