Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unwritten Rule

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unwritten Rule
    Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:03pm
Hi all I was into i.c.e in the 90's and then just drifted away from it. I still have double subs and bits pieces knocking about if I was to build a minirig using car subs would it be frowned upon or is it a case of it not falling into the definition of a mini rig?
Soundbite
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 9:53pm
You can do, their just not as good/efficient as PA drivers.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 10:06pm
Yeah I see what you mean I suppose you would have to spend loads in car hifi money to get an equivalent,but saying that I remember bk in the day car systems and sound offs were extremely loud.

Edited by djkeet - 23 March 2020 at 10:06pm
Soundbite
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 8:45am
Car sound offs 'were' extremely loud you are correct, but powering a system off a car / alternator / hard wired supply you don't have to consider efficiency as much, as your power source is unlimited basically. Efficiency is key with mobile systems if you want it to run loud and run for a decent amount of time. Ie; more output per watt you put into a speaker. A PA driver could sound twice as loud as a car driver if they were both fed the same amount of watts.

A very simplified explanation but you get the point. 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 2:17pm
Well I might frown/laugh a bit - because ...

Yeah of course you could run a "competition ICE" setup from standalone batteries, but - remember the visual image folk have of the way huge rocks were (probably) moved from somewhere in South Wales to Stonehenge ? Well you'd need a similar army of slaves to carry your lead-acid batteries to where you were playing. You might need more batteries than a regular car could carry without knackering the suspension.

One of those class AB 10000W sub ampliers would play for about 2 minutes from your regular car battery - then dead. So whats the point ? You may as well leave the whole rig fitted to the car/vehicle and power it from the genny (the car engine).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 6:38pm
The big difference is 'cabin gain'

In a car you are sealed in a box with the driver. I watched a video once showing some world record attempt at loudest car stereo or some such, they were bolting the doors closed, window glass was replaced with thick steel etc. 

The difference between speakers in a club compared to speakers outside on a flat field? Go the other way to a sealed box of a few m3...
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply