Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crossover wiring diagram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crossover wiring diagram
    Posted: 29 March 2020 at 6:17pm
Hi,
i have recently made two 15" full range cabinets to compliment the rest of my rig. They Contain a full 15 and a tweeter with a 400w crossover (3 way) I will be leaving the low output Idle as i do not require them for this. (got 2 double 18 bins)

However I would like to incorporate a switch of some sort that would bypass the xover and provide the full source output to the 15 and leave the tweeter idle. That way I would be able to use these smaller cabinets for house-parties instead of my full rig - no need for bass bins inside small rooms. I would like to know the best options for doing this. The only issue is that I dont know whether is would work with 2 sources wired into one driver. one source would obviously not be on at a time but say i ran the full source through to the driver and missed the tweeter, would the current run through the driver and then back  into the xover or would it stop at the driver? 

any advice is greatly appreciated
stan
Stantheman5516 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 6:48pm
Kit list
qtx 3 way crossover 400w 8 ohm
15 inch p-audio fulls 8ohm 300w
ecler 1000w amplifier(bridged to power two of these cabinets in parallel)

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 6:55pm
How do you crossover to your 18´s at the moment?

In any case, I´d just get rid of the 3-way, use a high pass filter for the tweeter and an external 2-way active for when you´re using the whole rig. Send everything below 100Hz to the bass-bins and the rest to the mid-top.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 8:17pm
hi

i have an active behringer crossiver for the 18s which has 3 outputs in mono. i run from the source to an EQ to the active crossover. Im on a tight budget as well so would like to incorporate the passive crossovers if i could otherwise id need a seperate amp for the tweeters. im a newbie so please excuse any stupid mistakes! 
are high pass filters basically a 2 way crossover just for tweeters?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2020 at 10:55pm
You don't need and can't use a 3-way crossover in those boxes so if using what you already got is the only option the crossover has to be modified. Can you post a link to the passive crossover in question?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 9:19am
Hi, 
I've decided to get a high pass filer to go in these cabinets like has been suggested. Ive got a link to the crossovers but are no longer relevant due to cancelation of order. My 15s have got a response of 40-2000hz so has anyone got a good reccomendation for a high pass filter at 400w? ive been searching but there arent many reviews anywhere. preferably cheaper option!
much appreciated
stan
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Stantheman5516 Stantheman5516 wrote:

hi

i have an active behringer crossiver for the 18s which has 3 outputs in mono. i run from the source to an EQ to the active crossover. Im on a tight budget as well so would like to incorporate the passive crossovers if i could otherwise id need a seperate amp for the tweeters. im a newbie so please excuse any stupid mistakes! 
are high pass filters basically a 2 way crossover just for tweeters?

Which Behringer? Is it 2-way stereo, 3-way mono? Does it have adjustable crossover points? In any case, you should be able to do what you want without any other gear (in mono).

Send 100Hz and below to the 18´s, everything else to the mid-top. The 15" run full-range, the tweeter protected - either by using the passive crossover you already have - or with a high pass filter. It depends on the unit you already have. Can you post any more details, eg crossover points?

A high pass is really just a 1-way passive crossover, usually used with tweeters.

EDIT: BTW, what is the tweeter. It is important to cross over correctly, as if not, it won´t last too long.

Edited by Earplug - 30 March 2020 at 9:30am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 9:43am
Hi
heres a link to the active crossover

https://clubtek.co.uk/behringer-cx2310-super-crossover-p-3109.html?msclkid=6bed5b2b4dc81db3cd5e05aafd88d407

its stereo 2 way mono 3 way with sub output. 

I've also decided to go with this passive crossover as suits me well

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=Convair_Electronics_2-way_Crossover_1_2KHz_&id=CNVX22

I haven't bought the tweeters yet as was waiting to make sure i bought the correct ones to match the xover

thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 5:11pm
Hi, 
another (probably) amatuer question but if i have a crossover at 2khz into a tweeter that is 3.5khz ad above that will damage the tweeter am i correct in saying?
stan
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 6:18pm
Do you mean recommended crossover point of 3.5kHz?

Then, yes - best to stick to that. There can be all sorts of issues otherwise - never mind a shortened life for the driver.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stantheman5516 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 6:40pm
ok thankyou for your time, last questionWink

whats the tweeter wattage relative to its input. for example i have 300wrms running into the two way crossover and the output to the tweeter will of course be reduced, but by how much? would i need a 75w tweeter or 20w or...
im looking to buy a horn style tweeter so any bolt ons would be good i think. 

thanks!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply