Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many hours use is too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many hours use is too much?
    Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:02pm
I have the chance to buy a used powersoft K10 dsp for a very good price but its had around 9000 hours use! Its been recently serviced and well looked after but am I going to be facing a lot of components at the end of their life?

I won't be putting any ridiculous amount of hours on it in the near future, maybe a 100/150 hours a year. 
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 12:39pm
Fun fact thats a whole year of use !
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by dnbpc dnbpc wrote:

I have the chance to buy a used powersoft K10 dsp for a very good price but its had around 9000 hours use! Its been recently serviced and well looked after but am I going to be facing a lot of components at the end of their life?

I won't be putting any ridiculous amount of hours on it in the near future, maybe a 100/150 hours a year. 

Do you know where it has been used ??

A club running 7 nights a week, 8pm til 4am; 56 hours a week not all of it at full tilt plus maybe the occasional afternoon promotional let, - that's the best part of 3000 hours a year in a (presumably) well-controlled environment.

Additionally it may have sat in a rack permanently switched on which would really have made the hours add up quickly.

If you know where it has been used then I don't think the amount of use it's had should be a worry; more of a worry would be how long you think that PowerSoft will support an amp that's still a current product.  I can't imagine them giving less than (say) 5 years of product support after production ceases.
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 3:59pm
They said it’s been used to power l-acoustics VDOSC at festivals, touring etc... Just been told some have around 7000 hours so even better.

Future support is a good point, I guess they’re not as easy to fix as the heavyweight options. When did production cease?

Edited by dnbpc - 01 April 2020 at 3:59pm
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:05pm
Production of the k10? As i am aware these are still produced.
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:11pm
Ahh sweet looks like I’ll be making the move to the lightweights then.

Pick & Mix Soundsystem
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2020 at 4:41pm
Also regarding the hours, with the counter on the newer amps with DSP. People add much more value to the hours then any other old amp. There are various 'older' amps that are sold for a lot of money but the milage is not known. You just have to trust the seller.
 Post Reply Post Reply