Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Benefits of V loading drivers in subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 1:55pm
In my experience (I designed and built a couple of 2x15 'v baffle' bass bins many years ago):

There will be a trade off between the volume of air in front of the driver vs. having a larger rear chamber (for the same external dimensions).  With the right driver, a larger rear chamber could increase low frequency response.

In line with other comments, I did measure some gain at the upper end of the response, probably from 80Hz upwards.  It does also make the cabinet stiffer, reduce internal resonances etc.  Therefore I think that there are benefits to doing it if you are building more of a general purpose bass cab, especially if you intend to use it above subs and/or with a relatively high crossover point.  I used to run mine up as high as 160Hz sometimes for dance music which did give a decent 'kick'.

My view on the physics is that it increases the effective radiating area from being just the two circular drivers to the whole of the front of the box. Since we know that cone drivers just acting on the air directly in front of them isn't particularly efficient (hence why we use horn loading), anything that can improve that efficiency or you could view it as acoustic impedance matching is unlikely to be a bad thing.

Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by hectorberman hectorberman wrote:

Would there be any hornloading effect if the port was in the middle of the v baffle? Almost acting as a large flared port or would the length of the 'v' be too short to add noticeable improvement?

Probably not at the relevant frequencies. Ports are used to extend LF response and the flares are respectively shallow
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 2:57pm
EAW used to be really helpful in publishing both unprocessed and processed responses for their passive boxes. This let you see real data.
Here is the response for the SB1001 which was the later generation of their dual 18" v-baffled box.
We can clearly see the effects of the cavity in both the FR and Z curves. 
As ceharden pointed out a couple of posts upthread, the main acoustic benefit would be if you wanted to use a higher then normal crossover.
Cheers,
David.

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 6:30pm
Typical impedance curve of a 6th order bandpass. The third ‘peak’ is not high, meaning not that much resonance (or boost ) going on, but it’s there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12