Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home speaker lockdown project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home speaker lockdown project
    Posted: 18 April 2020 at 2:28pm
Thinking of building some speakers for the living room. On a budget. Maybe £1-300 max.

In essence want to start with 2 full range speakers to run off a 1U 4ch. amp with built in DSP so I can mess around with the setting form the couch / laptop. Then build a small sub later on, maybe a tham 10 or a reflex box.

Built plenty big boxes but never stared form scratch. What should I be using to do some sims?

Current thought are use a 5 or 6" coaxial driver (to save space mostly) and run it active. Would I be better getting separate bass and high drivers? I dont want to use passive xovers as extra complication and less piss about with setting potential. It would also be good to be able to use this as a monitor / mini rig as well.

Built from 12 or 15mm ply.

Suppose my question is:
- how do i sim to design the box and port (WinISD?)
- is a coaxial driver a good idea 
- Is that driver suitable

Cheers!

Edited by rosssss224 - 18 April 2020 at 2:32pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 8:24pm
Do you have the amp yet? There is a dutch guy selling a 4 channel amp board with built in dsp for around 100£. 

It has had some encouraging reviews. There is a thread on diyaudio with some positive feedback. There are several people that are successfully using it.....
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2020 at 9:56pm
I would steer you away for that driver for hifi use- ive yet to find a coax driver that uses a HF waveguide which I like the sound off ( usually reflection/ resonance artifacts with mid range response getting coloured), and I would include some very very expensive drivers in that group. FS is quite high too if you want to get any bass out of it.

Nothing wrong with coax, but for cheap, high performance hifi use i would stick to separate drivers.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Do you have the amp yet? There is a dutch guy selling a 4 channel amp board with built in dsp for around 100£. 

It has had some encouraging reviews. There is a thread on diyaudio with some positive feedback. There are several people that are successfully using it.....

That little thing looks excellent, exactly what I am after I think. will have a read of some more reviews thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I would steer you away for that driver for hifi use- ive yet to find a coax driver that uses a HF waveguide which I like the sound off ( usually reflection/ resonance artifacts with mid range response getting coloured), and I would include some very very expensive drivers in that group. FS is quite high too if you want to get any bass out of it.

Nothing wrong with coax, but for cheap, high performance hifi use i would stick to separate drivers.

Great thanks. Beginning to think hi-fi driver may be more appropriate if using them full range.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 3:17am
That looks brilliant. Could it really be 4x50w what though? I'd be tempted to get a couple to play with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2020 at 2:24pm
Simmed a design based on this http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP5FE120AF

Tunes to 65Hz and makes a nice bookshelf speaker with a tweeter. 

Got the drivers now to get some 12mm ply...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 7:34am
so...

Parts currently in possession of / on order:

-2no. Faital Faital Pro 5 FE 120 4ohm.
-1.2 x 1.8mm 12mm birch ply
-https://zoudio.com/ AIO4CH amplifier

Looking to build a pair of almost as close to full range speakers as possible.

Any thoughts or comments on the attached would be great.

So far I have 2 designs a 6L and a 9.1L enclosure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

so...

Parts currently in possession of / on order:

-2no. Faital Faital Pro 5 FE 120 4ohm.
-1.2 x 1.8mm 12mm birch ply
-https://zoudio.com/ AIO4CH amplifier

Looking to build a pair of almost as close to full range speakers as possible.

Any thoughts or comments on the attached would be great.

So far I have 2 designs a 6L and a 9.1L enclosure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:43am
Progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:01am
Finally got the first one working. the Zoudio am is very nippy" Once I mamnaged to set the onboard DSP.

sounds is really good,even though not finished wadding / selaing the box a swanted to check my soldering first. I was worried the box was too big but it goes as low as Id hoped for so worth it.

Edited by rosssss224 - 05 June 2020 at 9:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply