Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL DSC260 Recap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL DSC260 Recap
    Posted: 22 April 2020 at 4:52pm
I've had this old JBL DSC260 controller for sometime. Made in 1999 by good old BSS.

The top end frequencies were sounding vague and the display/functions slow to change.  I thought it could do with a complete recap on the board including the switching power supply.

Old capacitors were Capxon and Jamicon.  Replaced with decent Nichicon PW and Panasonic Bi-polars.  The main high voltage cap on the switching power supply high side is a Ruybicon 1000uf which I kept.  Quite a bog standard switching power supply with jumpers to switch off the various power rails.  Many caps were showing high ESR especially the miniature 10uf's.

Some very decent chips at the time on this board... AKM AK5392-VS A/D, Analog Devices OP275 opamps, Cirrus Logic CS4390KSEP 24bit D/A converter and two Motorola DSP56004FJ50 processors.  

What a difference it has made when I reinstalled the controller after the work.  High Frequencies lots of detail and sweet and buttons/ settings change much more responsive.  It actually sounds so much better than my Behringer DCX2496's

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 9:23pm
Yes the 275s are nice chips, still about £2 an IC as well. Very much worth recovering... Good work
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 11:24pm
bipolars are generally higher esr than normal electrolytics, when they lose capacitance it's the bass that suffers. High frequencies can usually get through pretty knackered capacitors. I've seen those on the JBL go totally open and bulge out at the top for some reason which doesn't help the sound!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply