Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Makita builders radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makita builders radio
    Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:27am
My brother has asked me to modify his makita radio. I’ve also got one of these. They sound great apart from they have too much bass, and start to bottom out when you crank them up. As there are no tone controls on the unit I’m looking to add some passive crossover components to roll off some of the bass.
Has anyone else ever done anything with one of these radio?
100% Earth Moving Bass
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 2:56pm
You'd be looking at inconveniently large capacitors and inductors to make a speaker level highpass filter. You'd probably want at least a 3rd order so as not to lose too much upper bass/low mids, meaning you need two large value non-polarised capacitors and a large value inductor.

For example, if the woofer is 4 ohms and you want to cut the bass below 80Hz, you would need a 330uf capacitor in series,  then a 6mH inductor to ground, then a 1000uF capacitor in series. Good luck finding a non polar 1000uF! 

If you want to cut lower, you need bigger component values still!

Have you tried sealing up the bass reflex port in the radio? That should help with excursion problems at high levels. Further to that, you could also try putting wood blocks in the enclosure to reduce the volume. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 4:10pm
As Studio put... I looked at this too, but trying to find components and get them in theretoo proved a bit of a nightmare. There's been loads of posts on various forums about the bass level in these and it really surprises me Makita haven't issued a software fix for it... or someone hasn't managed to work out a proper fix/hack.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 4:41pm
Why not take out the internals and put them in a new box, maybe with more efficient  drivers.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 5:04pm
Or just add a sub box?

You could roll off the internal speaker at around 150-200Hz with a single capacitor - which will be a simple find, then build something to do the bottom end.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 7:44pm

Just make a simple 1st order high pass filter, for 80hz with a 4ohm speaker you need about 500uf in series with the driver. You will end up about 6dB down at 50hz.

To make a 500uF non-polarized cap from two polarized, simple connect two polarizes caps of twice the value (1000uF) in "back to Back"series with either the negatives or two positives connected together.

a typical 1000uf 35V cap is about 16mm (dia) x 25mm

35v caps will be fine as the supply for the radio is 18V

Edited by APW - 23 April 2020 at 7:57pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 9:36pm
The speakers inside are 8 ohm so presumably I’ll need a different value of capacitor?
100% Earth Moving Bass
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:10pm
yes, you need about 250uF so you would need two 500uF in series..... 470uF is the nearest standard value.

Edited by APW - 23 April 2020 at 10:11pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:13pm
Perfect, I’ll give that a try and report the results. Many thanks
100% Earth Moving Bass
 Post Reply Post Reply