Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

citronic ppx 900 fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: citronic ppx 900 fault
    Posted: 30 April 2020 at 8:42pm
come across an old ppx900 in the garage, channel A is working as it should but channel B has the clip light constantly illuminated and is outputting no sound,on inspection on channel B all fuses for the mosfets are fine and the mosfets are running warm on idle which I think is normal behaviour for these amplifiers. where should I look next? anybody had the same issue? thankyou in advance!
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:56am
It may be down to the following:--

1. Check the mute channel switch on FET's on each channel are not faulty / shorting (TR2 & TR12 2N3819).
2. Check the 100 degree output channel trips are o.k. (should be closed / shorted for normal use).
3. Check each channel driver fuseable resistors (power off on the amplifier and make sure main capacitors have discharged) and each resistor should be 100 ohms. (R37,R42,R43 on channel A & R19,R20,R25 on channel B. This appears to be O.K. as the MOSFET's are running warm on idle, but check anyway.
4. Check that you have near 15V across the following diodes when amplifier is powered up (ZD1,ZD2 on Channel A & ZD3, ZD4 on Channel B).
5. Check the output crowbar Triacs on each channel are not shorting (amplifier powered down), these are mounted on the side of the main output heatsink and are fitted by a small 's' shaped clip, take each one out of circuit and check with a meter. 

Hope this helps and please be careful due to the high voltage present on the main smoothing capacitors (Make sure these have been discharged BEFORE making any checks or removing of components).

Clap
cazmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cazmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2022 at 8:22pm
Hi was this ever resolved my amp has the exact same fault. want to get to work on it soon as possible. Thought the OP might be able to narrow the fault finding process down?
Regards 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2022 at 9:19pm
Simon knows his stuff..
cazmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cazmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 8:31pm
Hi, want to get myself all set up before I start to dismantle, is there any particular brand of components that I should purchase or can anyone recommend a reputable online retailer that sales high quality components?
Thanks in advance  
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 8:46pm
Try the following:--

1. R.S. Components.
2. Farnell In One.
3. Mouser Electronics.
4. Digi-Key.

These are all the top 4 component retailers & while you might be able to get components cheaper via Ebay etc alot of stuff maybe fakes from China & there are a lot of fakes around at pesent, so i only use the above for genuine parts.  

Be warned, due to the pandemic there is a mass component sortage at the moment with very long lead times. Cry

Edited by simonp1100 - 02 March 2022 at 8:48pm
cazmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cazmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2022 at 8:48pm
Thanks Simon, I had a look at mouser a few days ago, so will probably purchase from them. Thanks for the quick response. 
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 5:56pm
Faults on these amps are rare, after all in period they were buckets of money. The usual fault is that one of the two 15v zener diodes fails short or the resistor feeding it goes open, obviously the give away is that any op amp will have 15v across the power pins where they should have 30v, that would give the described fault and mute the amp
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Madhosting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madhosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 4:40pm
Hi. I have a similar fault on one of my PPX 900 amps. Channel A is fine but channel B is very week and distorted. The high frequency sounds do not really come through at all and the base thumps come through as distorted crackles. 
If I turn the volume right up on the mixer output I get a bit more through but it is incredibly quiet and distorted / crackly.

I wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can point me in the right area to have a look at 
It is one of the older designed amp with the long rocker switch rather then the later designed amps.
Thanks
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 6:29pm
With the amp switched off, switch the bridge mode switch backwards and forwards a few times. The contacts can be a bit dirty and cause the issue you’re having. Happened to one of mine once. I’ve got LOTS of PPX amps
100% Earth Moving Bass
Madhosting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madhosting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 8:59pm
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I have already checked the bridge switch and input connectors and ruled them out as the culprit.
I have noticed one thing that may be a pointer (or maybe not). When you turn the power switch off only the channel A clip light comes on as the capacitors discharge and the PSU voltage drops. 
Probably a red herring though.
Thanks.
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply