Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie mixer advice/recommendations needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie mixer advice/recommendations needed.
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:32pm
I'm looking for a mixer for my small sound system which is 2 subs powered by an NX6000D and 2 PA's powered by an EP2500. This is a DJ setup with no live instruments so I need minimal inputs, but I would like the ability to control each individual output that goes to each amp. For example, since I don't have DSP on the EP2500, I would like to EQ out the lows that will be played by the subs. 

I've been looking at compact mixers like this one: 

but I'm not sure if that would solve my problems. I've never set up a system with a mixer before so this is all new to me.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:53pm
I'm not sure that mixer is the best idea. At best, assuming one of the outputs is pre and the other post EQ, (the control/phones ouput being pre-fade, I assume as its meant for headphones); controlling the levels would be a pain. Normally you dont cross-over the mid-high and bass in the mixer, you have a dedicated crossover or processor, if you want to do it externally to the speakers.
Let a mixer do the mixing and the crossover do the crossing over.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:10am
you don't need a mixer, you need a crossover to split the sound between the subs and tops.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:54am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

you don't need a mixer, you need a crossover to split the sound between the subs and tops.

yeah I was just hoping to be able to do it all with a mixer somehow. I want the mixer so I can easily adjust the bass/pa output levels quickly and easily if needed. This is not intended to be a professional setup and money is kinda tight these days so if I can get away with just using a mixer that would be optimal.
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:59am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I'm not sure that mixer is the best idea. At best, assuming one of the outputs is pre and the other post EQ, (the control/phones ouput being pre-fade, I assume as its meant for headphones); controlling the levels would be a pain. Normally you dont cross-over the mid-high and bass in the mixer, you have a dedicated crossover or processor, if you want to do it externally to the speakers.
Let a mixer do the mixing and the crossover do the crossing over.

Okay thanks, I was hoping to be able to avoid buying a crossover because money is tight. I just figured most of the required crossing would be done in the NX6000dsp and I would just have to take out some lows with the mixer by ear. This is not a professional setup just houseparties and private gigs so it doesn't have to be club level.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:09am
A DJ mixer with a sub out would do the job more or less, the Behringer DX2000 has that with balanced connections on all outputs which is the what you want to feed those power amps.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:56am
Buy cheap second hand

mixer like peavey pv6 / pv8 around £50 /60
Behringer eq with crossovers (And hpf) fbq3201 (or fbq1501) £15 to 30

Couple of cables and job done properly.

Edited by JonB67 - 06 May 2020 at 7:01am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:18am
You need a crossover not a mixer……

I have a Behringer Super-x pro CX3400 that lives in my spares stash, these can be bought second hand extremely cheap on eBay, I paid about £25 for the one I have and it will do what you want.

Look on ebay for any of the Super-x pro range, they are all cheap used (and only about £65-80 new) and will do the job.

…… Being analogue with knobs on the front you can adjust everything on the fly.

Edited by APW - 06 May 2020 at 9:21am
Joe Grime View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Grime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:40am
 Behringer xr12 
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:38pm
what subs and pa speakers u usin ??  maybe u can run 2 subs one side and 2 monitors the other on the 6000  Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Tucker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by jammin75 jammin75 wrote:

what subs and pa speakers u usin ??  maybe u can run 2 subs one side and 2 monitors the other on the 6000  Smile

I like that idea but then my PA's would be in mono right?
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:53am
whats wrong with mono ?  
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
 Post Reply Post Reply