Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Want an analogue crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:21am
I have a pair of perfect working order BSS fds360s for sale.what crossover frequency's do you need ? 
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:28am
I've been looking and I guess if i'm gonna spend £150 on an analogue crossover I could maybe get myself a cheap BSS FDS334 they're about £300 used in good condition. I could use that until November this year and then get myself the XTA DP226. I was thinking would an RS232 to USB cable work so I can control DP226 when I got it from my computer? Something like this :

Edited by Fred_dibna - 13 May 2020 at 10:44am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:00pm
I have found that the ones with FTDI chipsets have been most compatible with RS232 shizzle that I have been talking to, from W10 pro laptops.

Cheap enough to have a go, even with an alleged "prolific" chipset.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 6:34pm
I've been looking at the BSS FDS336T and i'm not sure you can control them from a computer I think the RS232 port is only for firmware updates. 
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

I've been looking at the BSS FDS336T and i'm not sure you can control them from a computer I think the RS232 port is only for firmware updates. 

computer control is vastly over rated, once you learn you way round the front panel manual operation is far faster and a lot less clutter
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:38am
That's an opinion I don't share, when I had my dbx Driverack PA2 I loved being able to control it from my tablet anywhere in the venue as long as I could get a wi-fi signal. I could also monitor when levels were being pushed hard and turn then down a tad using my tablet and the app. Ideally i'd like a dbx Driverack Venu360 that's what I was originally thinking when I sold my PA2 because fgrom what I hear it has better sound quality converters and also built in RMS limiting. I've been weighing up wheteher i'd actually hear any difference in sound quality between the Venu360 and the DP226, if not then the Venu360 might be the way to go later this year when I get myself another loudpseaker management system. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:22am
There is a level of wank value added, by having adjustment via iPad or Laptop. And the option to adjust whilst out in the audience has its merits.

However most settings on X-over are set for any particular system. GEQ or Parametric to create voicing in room/room correction should be all that's needed? Maybe with flown High packs, delays to match the exact in room sub/high pack/ear triangle dimensions may need a tweak, but the intrinisic X-Over slope/Frequency/phase should be reasonably stable. Equally limiters, for consistent amp racks feeding same boxes, should be fairly consistent.

However, if they have got the product right, you should be able to get to front panel menu easily, after a PIN or login. Re-assures that someone with half a clue has designed it.

The ease with which the FDS388 Omnidrive was operated from front panel, case in point. Joyous, intuitive, menu system. Similar to how the Sabine PowerQ ADF4000 operated, and equally wonderful, and all 30+ years old.

Compare to the buggyness of even something as usuable as the DB Mark X-Over software. I haven't had it crash on me, but still feels a little bit buggy to get initial connection, and very chinglish. Similar to the later Sabine 4800 X-Over software, chinglish and not nearly as obvious to operate. Neither has pleasant front panel operation.

Having run/installed a few drive racks, cheap end and top end, and berry DCX2496, etc, front panel not the worst, software, if available, nothing special. The good stuff tends to have nice intuitive front panel AND easy connect, easy to use, software.

Pays your money, takes your chances.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:07pm
Yeah i've been reading about the dbmark ones and seen on this forum that a few members use the XCA series saying they have very good sound quality, I saw they sell them on Blue Aran for as little as £350 for the XCA26. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:16pm
I own one, and installed plenty of the DB Mark stuff. All the installed stuff is on 24-7 in racks, with (touches wood and lucky rabbits foot) no issues to date. I like Blue Aran's/Andy's ethic, always seem able to sort genuine issues.

Once you know your way around the software, perfectly competent, and the new "+" range sounds like it is offering a GUI hosted via on board web server, over TC-IP. Haven't tried one yet, but the RS232/USB stuff GUI was simple and easy, just a bit clunky in chinglishness at odd times. Front panel was horrible, but on install, you want it locked up, which it does!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:23pm
What's the sound quality like anywhere as good as the dbd Driverack Venu360? I guess the only feature the dbmark doesn't have is RMS limiting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12