Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my new rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Pimenell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my new rack
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:59pm
Default Supplying my rack

I’m putting together my first rack and so far have: 
zenith CD 8000 (will be EV TGX7)
Zenith CD 5000 (will be EV TGX5)
Electrovoice 1212 
Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496. (Will be EV DC ONE)

I have a Penn Elcom PDU16-UN Power Conditioner. 8 x Universal (UK/Schuko) Outputs will this suffice or will I need to use separate 10A conditioners

Edited by Peter Pimenell - 12 May 2020 at 9:11pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:16pm
Why do you need “conditioners “? What exactly do you think they will help with?
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Peter Pimenell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Pimenell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:19pm
My power generally comes from generators supplied by venues and events. I don’t fancy plugging that lot into a 16a extension lead. 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:00pm
Simple power conditioners will not offer any significant protection. Well maintained, suitably specified generators and a correctly designed distribution system will protect you, your equipment and all other persons present.

The only conditioners we would ever use would be UPS systems for sudden power failure sensitive equipment such as digital sound desks, lighting desks etc. other than that, just solid and sound system design.

A 32A single phase supply will be ample for your rack once fully built

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Pimenell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:23pm
Thanks for that useful information. I have the same conditioner in 32A which gives powercon distro so will do the same job. 
Im sure I will find use for the 16A with my other sound system (EV ETX) or FOH
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:49am
Quick one? 

Why are you using a crossover and not the internal DSP in the TG’s?

I know everyone slates Iris Net, but most of the time this is due to them not fully understanding it. I actually quite like Iris Net.

Plus if you are going to buy a EV DSP go for DX46 or a NetMax.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Pimenell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:16am
I am waiting on the 2 TG’s to become available and will want to configure other rack combinations in the short term with what I have. You’re right of course about the DX46 as a better option but have a deal on the DC One which fits current budget and knowledge. It has been 30 years since I last built a sound system and much is new. The DC one seems to have fairly simple software to navigate for someone of my level of IT skills. (Avolites is taking up all my spare grey matter) 
I would hope to eventually be able to invest fully into the project and as my knowledge base expands I’m sure I will connect the choices I have made efficiently. 
Being able to reuse any purchases within the project as it grows is important also. Sound is one aspect of a complete mobile show project.

Many thanks for your input and any other advice is appreciated 
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Peter Pimenell Peter Pimenell wrote:

Default Supplying my rack

I have a Penn Elcom PDU16-UN Power Conditioner. 8 x Universal (UK/Schuko) Outputs will this suffice or will I need to use separate 10A conditioners

This is not a conditioner it is a power distribution unit 240v 32a inlet with two 16A trips on 1 x 16a outlet 8 x shuko outlets with an lcd power monitor only on the 8 outlets.

It will do nothing to protect the system apart from trip a fuse if you draw to much power .

There  are plenty of posts on this forum with tips for using generators which can be summed up as

1: Always meter your mains before plugging anything in
2: Always use a generator 2 or 3 times bigger than potential draw
3: Always use a fixed load parcans or similar to keep the generator working into a load regardless of the dynamics of the music.

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply