Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3-Way Rig Crossover Frequency Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkiwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-Way Rig Crossover Frequency Setup
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 6:49pm
Just started the build of a new mono rig.

For the sub - 1 x 18" cubo sub loaded with P-Audio E-18ELF 800W 8 Ohm:

For the kick - 1 x 15" cubo kick loaded with Eminence KAPPA PRO-15A 500W 8 Ohm:

For the mid-top - 1 x Turbosound TCX12 300W 8 ohm:

And then for amps I've got a thomann E-1500 (2 x 950 W at 8 ohm) which I was intending on using as 2 channel for the sub and the kick.

And a thomann E-800 (2 x 350W at 8 ohm) which I was intending on using bridged for the mid-top.

As for the crossover I've got a Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro.

Now really what I'm asking is whether you think that setup is right or how you would set it up and also what frequencies to have the crossover set at?

I was thinking 30Hz - 100Hz for the cubo sub.
100Hz-200Hz for the cubo kick.
200Hz-20kHz for the turbosound top.

Does that sound right or should there be some sort of overlap in the frequencies? Apologies if this is a noob question just trying to get it right the first time around! Also maybe some info on whether it would be better using the amps in a different setup and what limiter settings to have setup on the crossover/amps would be useful as I don't want to blow my gear the minute I get it all loaded.

This is the general info and advice I've had so far from the guys building my cabs, I've been working on a budget so not the best gear but also not loading it with car speakers so!

Cheers all, I've attached some shots of the builds Big smile
Dubshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dubshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:59pm
Shouldn't think you would need an overlap in frequencies. Better to have each cab delivering the specific sounds you want... There will be some overlap with the slopes on the crossover naturally, adjustable depending on the crossover and the style you choose. Let each box deliver what they're designed for within their range.

Edit: build looks good too, thanks for sharing :)

Edited by Dubshot - 14 May 2020 at 7:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply