Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a good idea? are FLHs bad in 2020?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2020 at 1:33pm
I was talking about the small angle between panels at the blue line. Cutting needs to be very precise to make this a strong joint, also clamping or screwing is difficult with such small angle. Same for plates from back chamber.

Best regards,

Walt
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Contour Contour wrote:

I was talking about the small angle between panels at the blue line. Cutting needs to be very precise to make this a strong joint, also clamping or screwing is difficult with such small angle. Same for plates from back chamber.

Best regards,

Walt

Okay, after refolding the horn about 5 more times and rejigging it in hornresp a bit I have come up with this. It now only has 6 internal panels. It is also slightly smaller at 920x1050x536.

Bracing to come. 

Thanks all for the feedback, it has been far more work than I initially expected but if you read back in this thread, a lot of progress has been made which I couldn't have done on my own, I have learned a lot. 

Edited by citizensc - 15 June 2020 at 11:48am
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 11:52am
Looks good, I think you can even combine the panel with acces hatch and the other small panel into one panel.

Best regards,

Walt

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Contour Contour wrote:

Looks good, I think you can even combine the panel with acces hatch and the other small panel into one panel.

Best regards,

Walt

The issue with this, is it will cause driver fitting issues, the only way I see to overcome it is to make the cabinet bigger or use a completely different folding pattern. 

I also prefer the look of two segments in the mouth of the horn, not sure if i'm alone on this. 
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 9:15am
I'm with you I think it looks wicked the way it is and no significant problem to include in a build. Intrigued to see / hear the results! 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 1:05pm
Okay, so I have finalised this plan for now (I think), if no one points out any major issues before tomorrow evening my time, I will post it in the 'Other Plans' sub forum. 

PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7okm9x5utpp8gt/BG%20Horn%20Mk1.pdf?dl=0
Sketchup File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7d04zrc3088ewx/BG%20Horn%20V1.0.skp?dl=0

There will be an update to the F2B drawing, while the initial feedback from testing is very good, the member who is testing it has had some stuff come up and will not be able to give measurements etc. until sometime after the 1st of July. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345