Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hyperbolic bass horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:27am
Simple question but I haven't been able to find the answer. How do you calculate rms? Driver diaphragm suspension mechanical resistance (n.s/m). I know hornresp can do it but I want to know the formulae. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 11:24am
Rms=(1/Qms).((Mms/Cms)^1/2)

Edited by snowflake - 09 September 2020 at 11:26am
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Thanks a bunch! 

Just a side note:

In the leach paper wc is the angular resonant frequency of the driver in box, w0 is the horn angular cutoff frequency. 

In the Kolbrek paper it is the other way around, wc is angular cutt off of the horn, w0 is the resonant frequency of the driver in box. 

Hope no one else wastes an hour trying to figure out why the formulae don't make sense because of this. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Thanks a bunch! 

Just a side note:

In the leach paper wc is the angular resonant frequency of the driver in box, w0 is the horn angular cutoff frequency. 

In the Kolbrek paper it is the other way around, wc is angular cutt off of the horn, w0 is the resonant frequency of the driver in box. 

Hope no one else wastes an hour trying to figure out why the formulae don't make sense because of this. 

He also uses wl to mean two different things. as in Leach it is used as the -3dB point of the midband range (which beause of his new reactance annulling method is a lower frequency than wc), but also in section 6 he uses wl as a target frequency to achieve maximum output power (which is necessarily above wc).
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 10:44pm
not sure if this is any help but you can make the rear chamber very small and put a capacitor in series between the amp and the horn to get approx the same response. does this give you some extra freedom with the reactance annulling or is the capacitance exactly equivalent to the chamber compliance?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 12:20am
playing around with Hornresp it seems possible to get slightly reduced excursion in the passband and slightly improved response by using a capacitor and making the rear chamber smaller. I'm far from sure that the reactance of the capacitor is an exact substitute for the reactance of the chamber, but one advantage could be that when Kolbrek's maths requires a very large chamber for reactance annulling, using a cap could reduce chamber size and significantly reduce the overall cabinet volume. This means you could use a larger Sd driver on a low-T horn.
Comode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 9:51am
Hi Citizensc,

i just started to think about horn theory and calculation. It's quiet hard to get into it.
so for that i would be really thankfull if you could send me a copy of your spreadsheed.

Best regards
Klaus
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2022 at 12:53pm
this is a useful explanation of some of Kolbrek's ideas without so much maths:
My Approach to Bass Horn Design (hornspeakersystems.info)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234