Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dbx 262 help please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dbx 262 help please.
    Posted: 07 June 2020 at 5:03pm
Yo. Lucky me, I’ve a compressor limiter thing.

Before I melt everything could someone confirm some stuff please?

There’s 3 dials on each channel (great!!)

Dial one. Threshold. Do I crank it up all the way until it sounds horrible? Play with til it’s nice for ears?

Dial two. Ratio, think I understand this, input to output in dB. Set it to infinity in to get 1db increase going out.

Dial three. Output gain. It is what it says. Is this plumbed in after the ratio dial? Can I set the ratio dial to infinity, then turn the gain up to 11 and break everything?

I’m glad there are only three dials.

I’m using this for rave music, running off decks and mixer, would be good to stop over zealous DJs upping the gain on the mixer and breaking stuff.

Thanks as always, appreciate any wisdom.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2020 at 10:28pm
Threshold - the signal level where the compression begins to kick in. Start with this at max and bring it down until you just start to see the first gain reductions LED illuminate, from there on down the signal will get crushed more and more the further you go.

Ratio - The in/out ratio of compression applied in dB.

Output gain - Designed to be makeup gain, if 6dB of compression is applied you restore the overall peak level by adding 6dB here.

These devices were designed to be used on live instruments and vocals, adding compression helps keep the levels within a manageable range or can help keep a vocal on top of a mix. Yes you can most certainly break stuff with this if you get over zealous, excessive compression raises the overall average signal level which increases the overall continuous power level drivers are exposed to which can melt them quicker. Therefore this is the wrong tool for speaker protection... if that is what you were thinking.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by bin juice24 bin juice24 wrote:

would be good to stop over zealous DJs upping the gain on the mixer and breaking stuff.

Thanks as always, appreciate any wisdom.

The only thing that does this is either only letting people that don't take the piss play on your system or be known as someone that comes down hard on offenders. Its also worth having an ear bleeding set of DJ monitors so if they want volume they can have it there and it feels like they're rinsing it on the dancefloor but you still have that under control.

As mentioned before, this is the wrong tool for the job. Have a read around the difference between compression and limiting. Well set limiters on your crossover (if its digital) will really help as will a well matched system, correctly specc'd amps for the drivers they power, matched correctly to the size of the venue and crowd and matched to the music style. 

If the DJ is redlining it, only physically turning the system RIGHT down or kicking them off and putting a professional on there is going to guarantee you don't kill drivers. (and never asking them back).
blah blah blah blah blah......
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:12pm
Thanks both, for your replies.
Seems I have the wrong tool😀
I looked at the spec before buying it, it mentioned speaker protection for sound systems, are they referring to something else?
Or is it just a bit crap?

Speaker Protection (Auditoriums, Churches, Mobile DJs and Sound
Systems)
Compressors are frequently used to prevent excessive program levels from dam
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 4:04pm
It's just that better tool exist.
You can use it for temporary protection, but better not run hard into it all night.
I would use the extreme settings, so as one pushes into the threshold, volume goes lower and lower, if dj wants level back  he has to lower his volume.
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 5:35pm
Cheers again.

Is there an industry standard retard proof (I’m in my 40s and too old (fried) to learn anything more complicated than basic crap)compressor/limiter? This one cost £50. I’m guessing the price suggests it’s competence?

I’m not providing sound for Glastonbury, just a club for 300 people, most of whom probably have lost some of their hearing already. 
Do people dish out ear defenders these days?
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 8:30pm
If you're after industry standard then this is one of them. Put it where the dj can see it. If the dj goes over a set limit it pulls the output level right down and gives a visual indication of this happening. It will sound shite on the dancefloor and everyone will be giving the dj shit for it. If/when they reduce the level coming out of the mixer, this magic unit allows more through to the PA.

blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply