Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Budget amp to run 2x RCF L18P300 Wired in Parallel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget amp to run 2x RCF L18P300 Wired in Parallel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget amp to run 2x RCF L18P300 Wired in Parallel
    Posted: 10 June 2020 at 5:42pm
Hi All,

Looking for a decent budget amp recommendations to run my newly-acquired 2x RCF L18P300 which are wired in parallel in 1 box.

They're both rated at 8ohm and 1000w, 18" bass drivers. I will then need to bridge an amp to provide a single input and believe this amp will need to be 2ohm stable to supply them without blowing. For headroom i'd like something that provides approx 3000w bridged @4ohm.

Unfortunately i'll have to sell my T.amp 4000 which I had bought to cover bass when I was going to go with 2x Pd-loaded X1's rather than the singe box I have now, as this is not 2ohm stable and if I wired the drivers 1 per channel i'd lose all the headroom Cry

So please hit me up with your suggestions! ............Behringer Europower, T.amp Proline or similar?

Ta in advance!

PS yes, i'm not great with my ohms Clap
Submission VS 2facedBass 21/11/09 @Basingstoke Bang Bar!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 8:57pm
What are you gonna play on this system? 
A 1000w of amp to push 1000w(AES?) drivers is a pretty perfect match really, for any bass heavy type material the drivers won't survive more power in the long term and even if you had twice as much power it's unlikely you would get a noticable increase in output. I say run it one channel per driver.
Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 7:01am
A lot of depends on music style and type of cabinet. I used a QSC MX3000a to run 1 or 2 P300's per channel for a live rock music. My suggestion is stay away from cheap amps and get some older Crest or QSC, something built to last.
with regards, Ladislav
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 9:04am
Two 8 ohm cabs in parallel gives 4 ohms,  so your amp needs to be 4 ohm capable in bridge mode if you want to run it like this. 

In 4 ohm bridge each half of the amp works at 2 ohms. 

You don't need an amp capable of 2 ohms in bridge mode.  

Thought that was worth clearing up.  

That said,  like conanski, I'd say just stick it on your amp,  driver a channel. If you want to spend a lot more money or start buying more subs there's countless threads on what bass amp to choose on here. 

Just remember if its all turned up to 11 you haven't got enough gear and you need more cabs, not just bigger amps.
2face View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 9:06am
Thanks All,

Keeping to budget and given the above i've gone for an Alto Mac 2.4 that bridges (apparently) to just over 3kw @4ohm.

I doubt it'll be the choice of the forum but we'll see how I get on! -If it blows i'll just go Matrix to match the powering of the HD15's and midtops in the rest of the stack.

PS playing underground dance music, drum n' bass, techno, hardcore etc...
Submission VS 2facedBass 21/11/09 @Basingstoke Bang Bar!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 5:44pm
Alto 2.4 is not going to like 4ohm bridged. Its barely good for 4ohm stereo or 8ohm mono. 
Way too underrated components for 4ohm bridge, especially if you try to push it to the limits. 
it's not bad amplifier, just not very good for heavy sub duty.

Second hand QSC mx3000a (or JBL MPX1200, same amp) is one of those good old amplifiers I can recommend. They are pretty cheap and will easily drive 4ohm load @ bridge mode all day long. Much more powerful compared to alto 2.4. 

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 12:41am
 I've had a couple of Alto Mac 2.4's and have to sort of disagree with the above, one of them was in an install for years powering a pair of Fane XB's at 4r bridge and it never missed a beat running just below or at clip for hours on end, then it got relegated to mid top duty and promptly blew the transformer...
 With a new transformer it soldiered on for a few more years until I sold it, the other one had a much easier life, 4r per channel on bass was the most demanding thing it did and that one was 100% reliable. 
  They're easily on par with the RMX2450 they're copied from IMO, however, they don't do 3k rms into 4r bridge, it's more like 2k, I think the 3k rating is EIAJ or some other meaningless rating.
  Oh, and whilst I had the above pair of Alto's I also had quite a few Matrix STR's, the Alto's were more reliable...
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 5:30pm
behringer NX3000 will give you 2000-3000watts (depending if you look at the real world stats or read berrys literature) bridged for under 200quid. Cant go wrong for a starter amp. Or the 6000 so you can run 4x drivers.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
 Post Reply Post Reply