Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt newbie ..few questions if i may

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt newbie ..few questions if i may
    Posted: 16 June 2020 at 6:47am
Hey guys ,
 System so far ...

2x bose revolve speakers mounted in Martin audio 12" horns from rs1200 cabs, ( pics to follow ) iv capped off the horns with pine wood bolted to the driver mounting flange of the horn , then mounted the bose revolve speakers like phase plugs , utilizing there tripod mount thread, in the centre of the horns . 
With a little eq they actually sound really good and the horns give the bose speakers that extra spl to allow them to get the party going.
The shape of the bose speakers and the way the sound propogates lends itself to how there mounted in the horns, exactly like a phase plug .

I plan to mount them on tripods and I have a couple battery banks that increases there run time x2 .

What id like to achieve.....

A seperate bass speaker running off lifo4 batterys  that lasts for about 16 hours flat out , that will have enough spl to balance out the tops for dance music . 
I want to keep the signal chain digital if I can , what I mean is , Bluetooth from source to dsp , dsp to amp for sub either analogue or digital (whether the DA conversion is done in the dsp or the amp for the sub I don't mind .
Then digital out from the dsp for the bose tops into a Bluetooth transmitter , so i can keep the signal without any unnecessary conversions but proccesed for the tops. 

Questions ..
Am I likely gonna need more than 500 dollers worth of lipo4 batterys to acheive this ? ( i guess I can take some spl measurements of the tops)

Which lifo4 batterys and charging system to use ?

Should I entertain the sure kits or some of the more high end kits ?

Are there evan kits out there that do what I need ? 

Any high quality 12v or battery powered Bluetooth transmitters that except a digital input from a battery powered dsp ? 

I like a nice tight transient in my baselines, flh are out of the question as there too big , tapped horns ?thinking mayb a single Martinsson 10 design ?
50hz make sense ! There efficient and not too big .

Its not a super high spl rig , obviously the revolves have there limitations but id like it to be a really hifi ish sounding rig .
Gonna be transported by a small boat so needs to sensibly sized .

Any help or input much appreciated 

P.s based in Perth Australia :) 

Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 5:45pm
Hi mate, I'm not familiar with the Bose speakers you mention but that is a pretty crazy idea - I'd be quite concerned about cross-reflections inside the horn; you may want to add some kind of foam plug or wadding to alleviate this (look up the work of Earl Geddes on "higher order modes" for more info) if you want Hi-Fi sound. 

A tapped horn is a good bet for lots of output from a small sized cabinet. I would probably go for a 12" though, as thhey do get down to 50Hz with authority, whereas the 10" will not do much below 60 at all. 

LiFePO4 batteries are similarly a very good shout but whether you will need over AU$500 worth I could not say - say you are running 4s for 12.8v nominal, how much can you get a 20Ah pack for? You'll want about 4 of those to run for 16 hours I would guess....

The Sure amp boards are great and the 1x600 T-Amp board will give you a real 320 watts into 8 ohms at 48v, which into a tapped horn bin should get you to the 115dBSPL area. They match nicely with the Sure 500 watt boost regulator, and are very small and light, such that you could certainly build it into the bin. However the Pioneer GM-D series amps are actually cheaper, come ready to rock, and have some handy built in filtering.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply