Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally made some studio monitors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

"Open, Straw, down-in-one Eddie" is your name on that other forum you hang about.

Actually, it's Daphne on that forum. LOL

Ssshhhh - I thought we promised never to mention that forum! I was talking about the AA forum...
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:42pm
Some more in use shots. These bastards rock!

You should be able to see plot of DSP. All 48dB/Oct, 35-190, 200-3K, 3K-19K.
91Hz +3dB for a bit of kick, slight HF shelf from 12.5K, bit of roll off of mids, but largely flat. Just tuned by ear, as it is my ear which be listening!

Amp Rack. I got the three Quad520C, along with a pile of JBL cinema cabs, for £150!! Recapped PSUs with original Caps from RS. V Tidy.
Sabine is 4x8, bitch to program from front panel, but has a RS485 control from GUI.

Rear: NL8, 8x2.5. Each bass driver has its own 2.5mm pair from amp to each driver, so effectively 5mm to bass. Ports are a nod to the late Windmill Tilter's preferred arrangement, which may aid convection cooling.
HFs have a large cap behind plate of NL8, effectively an out of passband HP 1st Order crossover, to protect against LF or DC getting to ribbons. Tried playing with phase to compensate for First Order shift, but couldn't hear any difference.

It has ended up that the HFs are almost exactly at my ear height. I hadn't actually considered it as a design goal, should have, but got lucky!

The screens are 24" to give you an idea of scale. The speakers are Big, aren't they!! Not bad for my first "from scratch" design and build!

These, now dialled in, have exceeded my expectations. No rattles or leaks, or anything to detract from the music, and seem to be happy with any style thrown at it. Gave them a damn good thrashing, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For cheap drivers, the little wharfedales are brilliant, DynAudio needed to impress and they do, and the Fountek Neo's continue to offer cracking bang for buck, flat and detailed to beyond what my ears can hear!

I have found a pair of those original REL Quake 10" drivers down the back of the garage's sofa, the Sabine is 4 way able, and I have another 2x300W fanless mosfet amp kicking about....
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 5:00pm
Very impressive build Matt,well done. Thumbs Up
Be seeing you.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:30pm
lovely build! how loud can it go?

Edited by Jo bg - 19 June 2020 at 6:31pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 9:47am
Yes - beautiful. Very nice.

Have you considered doing sound professionally!!   LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 11:23pm
 Top work, if they sound as good as they look you're onto a winner! I've built loads of cabs with curved panels made of many thinner laminated layers and whilst time consuming you end with panels that are very strong and have near enough no resonance, curved panels look bloody cool too... Cool
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes - beautiful. Very nice.

Have you considered doing sound professionally!!   LOL LOL LOL

Cheeky sod!

Fat chance of me being a professional anything, other than "piss artist".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Top work, if they sound as good as they look you're onto a winner! I've built loads of cabs with curved panels made of many thinner laminated layers and whilst time consuming you end with panels that are very strong and have near enough no resonance, curved panels look bloody cool too... Cool

I surprised myself with how solid the walls became, I can only theorise that the dampness in the wood from bending them wet, drew the glue in as it evaporated dry. I tapped all over, and couldn't get any change of note, so couldn't hear any voids.

Now I have had a chance to drive them fairly hard, I am very happy. At some-point I will get a mic and do it properly, but in the meantime, happy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12