Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest CA 12 pops fuse when startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crest CA 12 pops fuse when startup
    Posted: 04 July 2020 at 10:10pm
I have 2 Crest CA 12 each of them are hooked up on 10A 220 volts.

If I hit the Power button ”fast and steady” everything is ok.

BUT if Im little slow its like the power button is in some kind of middle setting and it then blows the 10A 220v automatic fuse in the room.

Is it something wrong with the power button or is this normal since 10A is to small for this amp?

The power button is not snapping steady you get the feeling its worn out or something.

Any ideas?

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 2:47pm
Well, I'd replace that switch if it feels bad. 

There could be a fault with the soft-start circuit in the amp - see this thread https://forum.speakerplans.com/crest-ca12-sparking-on-off-switch_topic85098_page2.html - if the soft start relay has failed in the closed position, the amp will draw a very heavy current at startup, which could damage the on/off switch and pop breakers.

Another possibility is that your 10A breakers are too fast for this application. I'm not sure how US breakers are rated but in the UK we have A, B, C and D curves, where A reacts very fast and D reacts more slowly, B and C being somewhere in between.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 3:37pm
Ok is it a good chance its only the switch that is bad?

I think I here the relay so I think that is ok.

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 10:22pm
The switch on a CA12 is actually a thermal-magnetic circuit breaker, so they're more complicated than a switch. If you replace it, it must be the same type for safety reasons.

Sometimes the soft-start on these crests can fail, usually the NTC's arc across on switch on, so that's worth investigation too.

And some household breakers are too sensitive for big amps, always worth trying it on a different circuit.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 5:39pm
Hi again do you know if this breaker would be ok also for the 220v europe version of the amp?

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

Hi again do you know if this breaker would be ok also for the 220v europe version of the amp?

Try rswww. Com for a 230v version 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 7:29pm
I dont understand nothing :)
 Post Reply Post Reply