Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp recommendations / configurations please :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:04am
"distortion plays no role in it."

Yes - and no!

Distortion from a fuzzbox, etc. - no, that shouldn´t do any harm. Distortion from clipping the amp - definitely will do harm!

"If 100% more power is providing good headroom. What sort of protection is adequat for that set up,"

Most (decent) speakers will handle short peaks without any problem, so your protection needs to to take into account the type of muzak you´re reproducing and it´s crest factor. A lot of modern music is heavily compressed, so needs careful limiting. Live music is more dynamic, so less extreme limiting will be better.

Unfortunately, it´s quite a complex subject, as it depends on so many factors, eg quality of build of your speakers - or how realistic the specs of said speakers actually are - and has been discussed and disputed ad infinitum both here and on almost every sound forum that has ever existed, but bottom line is not too send too much power for too long  a period at the speakers!

And yes - an AC2 between your desk and xover - correctly set up - will do the job.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by roberto101 roberto101 wrote:

I'm convinced that more power is better but a bit confused about the cut off point. eg, how more more power is too much.
Program rating of the drivers is a good target but don't think about it in percentages think in dB. Every time power is doubled that is a 3dB increase, so 1w to 2w is 3dB just like 1000w to 2000w. 

Originally posted by roberto101 roberto101 wrote:

If 100% more power is providing good headroom. What sort of protection is adequate for that set up, considering I might end up renting the system out to djs who wouldnt neccessarily have as much respect for my gear as I might.
That is worst case scenario so you will need the best protection available and that doesn't come cheap. A modern self powered rig typically has RMS and Peak limiting as well as driver thermal and over excursion protection, all this is necessary to get the most out of a speaker system. If you can't provide all that due to technical or financial reasons then you have to scale back your expectations and leave some output on the table, or roll the dice and plan on doing some driver recones until you figure out where the limits are with your rig with your typical customers.

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 6:59pm
What about a saturn 10?
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:02pm
Ot just listen to your rig, and know when it's suffering..... 
roberto101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberto101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:17pm
Thanks for all of your comments lads, I think ive learnt a bit from all your feedback.
Some information im still unsure about as different people say different things.

I've just ordered a Camco Q-Power 4 x 1500watt amp which im hoping will work out nicely. Part of my decision was the financing options that i could take advanage of to pay for it but I've used the Vortex's before and they've worked quite well and a lot of people on various forums including this one have good things to say about them.

I plan on using my driverack for the time being for limiting and might have a look at adding the Formula Sound AVC at some point if / when i start renting it out.

The amps are out of stock at the moment but I'm hopefully going to have it in hand in a couple of weeks and plan on renting out a studio for the day to do some set up and testing so will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again!

Edited by roberto101 - 22 July 2020 at 8:22pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 8:39pm
That amp should work well for you. Set the driverack to just stop the amp from clipping and you should be safe for most genres.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 9:02pm
Did you buy that new?
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 8:43am
Seriously, sell the driverack and buy an amp with internal DSP.

Especially if your looking to rent out turnkey solutions.

Have presets in the internal DSP, most of these modern amps you can turn off front panel controls. Set real time limiters and rent it out worry free.
If your dry hiring amps with external crossovers and AVC2’s etc something will get damaged as people WILL touch stuff.

I honestly feel you will regret it if you don’t go down the modern route now. 
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 11:55am
And even if you don't. I could have saved you a small fortune if you bought that amp new. 
roberto101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberto101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 7:31pm
Thanks for the reassurance Conanski
I knew there would be some resistance from some of you. (no pun intended)
I did buy the amp new and as mentioed, part of it was being able to pay it off hundred and odd quid a month and it comes with a 6 year warranty which isn't too shabby.

Its not too late to cancel it and the thought has crossed my mind. £2500 is a lot of money for me to spend for a hobby item considering i dont even own my own car.

Honestly, I wouln't be able to afford a second hand Lab or Decent Powersoft at the moment anyway and am a bit hesitant to spend 1700 / 1800 quid in something that might stop working at some point and I'd have no comeback. Not sure how much these things are to fix but I bet its not cheap, even to get them looked at.

Renting it out is going to be a progressive thing and by that time, I ll prob have some more gear anyway. I think ill probably end up being present at any gigs anyway so I'll can keep an eye on things. I'm not putting this rig together with a view to making any money. If I get a few quid back then great but it's more of something to do to be honest. Still love my tunes even though i dont go out clubbing anymore.

I think im actually going to save up for a Macro Tech 5000 before the end of the year so i can do some a/b testing. The fella who im buying the speakers off is addiment I should go old school and get a Macro Tech as they sound much warmer. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about as he has racks of equipment and many years of experience putting on shows but its something I want to decide for myself to be honest, what sounds best, what's more practical, whats suits the music I play etc.

I've got a swtch mode amp set up to my turntables, a Crown XLS 2000 with a small pair of Bose 301s and it sounds really nice. Although it would be nice to see how much better the Macro Tech sounds compaired to a Switch Mode amp, I'm quite happy to settle for the switch mode for £130 a month if its sounds anything like my small home dj setup.

What do they say, its not where you going, it's how you get there :)

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 9:18pm
As you don’t  have the points to be able to receive a private message, i suggest contacting me at chris@fsl.online, i may just be able to help
Thanks 
Chris
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12