Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Macbook Pro's - Is Apple HW that fragile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jolliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 7:02am
Have you tried a PRAM and SMC reset? 
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 5:55pm
And if the battery hasn't been changed already, I'd change that. Apple don't do one any more that will fit, so it will have to be an OEM of some descript.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2020 at 12:42pm
Dunno what you guys are doing but all my macs are still working (going back to Titanium powerbook), whereas windows machines just decide to die on me. My beautiful 2018 top spec XPS15 just stopped working a year in. It's been back to Dell 3 times now, and has supposedly been replaced and still has issus with it swapping between graphics cards continuously. Serves me right for buying a laptop just cos it looked nice LOL 

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

And if the battery hasn't been changed already, I'd change that. Apple don't do one any more that will fit, so it will have to be an OEM of some descript.

Non Apple repair shop tried fixing machine, no success.

Something wrong with charging circuit on mainboard.

Put in charged working battery, machine boots, wont't charge battery, then knackers battery.

Advertised machine on FB Marketplace, keep getting contacted by FB numpsies, not reading add, thinking they are getting working I5 2012 MBP for £120.Confused

Taken ad down, problem is new mainboard fitting, will cost more than price of used DELL I5 7450, which is very sexy and capable machine.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 11:23am
Does the Mac run off the mains PSU without the battery being installed?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Does the Mac run off the mains PSU without the battery being installed?

Nope.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2020 at 2:27pm
Lev, look up Luis Rossman on youtube. If the idea of messing about with it at SMD level sounds like fun, he'll have all the info you'd need
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12