Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unshielded phono cables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unshielded phono cables
    Posted: 06 August 2020 at 2:07pm
just cut a phono cable in half to replace the captive lead on a 1210 and discovered that it contains two seperately insulated conductors, rather than a central conductor with a shield around it. Is this commonplace or have I bought some particularly cheapo rubbish off ebay?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 2:19pm
It could be using conductive plastic as a screen ( anyone remember connectronics musiflex ?) but unlikely...

Users of short phono leads at line level are unlikely to ever notice.

Moving magnet phono (5mV ish) you are likely to notice

Moving coil phono ( 0.3mV ish) you will...I use moving coil at home with a 66dB gain head amp and I have to use RF chokes and careful cable placement.

Edited by csg - 06 August 2020 at 2:20pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 2:31pm
can anyone recommend a cable that is thick enough it won't get accidentally broken by shutting in flight case, but thin enough it fits in the technics strain relief clamp (apparently should be 2*4.5mm). and with half-decent plug on the end. between 1.2m and 2.5m (to cut in half). just reading about cable capacitance  - apparently should be 125pF. or do I have to shell out £15+ quid for a special technics cable. annoying as repair needed for this evening.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 2:47pm
just found one replacement cable I had in my spare cable box. It is 5.5mm (struggle to get it in the clamp) and measures 210pF.

the unshielded cable is only 2.7mm and 90pF

damaged cable I just removed was 350pF !

Edited by snowflake - 06 August 2020 at 2:49pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 3:00pm
found one - actually a RCA to 3.5mm lead, but 1.5m length measures 180pF and cutting it open it is screened. 4mm thick. that will do this time.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 3:01pm
I tend to use 3.2mm twisted pair + screen patch cable. The new technics have sockets rather than captive cables. Much better.

Lower capacitance will be an advantage, however I doubt that you would hear the difference between those values in “gig” conditions 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2020 at 4:23pm
No very doubtful. And bear in mind that capacitance also depends on the length of a cable so for a fair comparison it is usually expressed per m or ft.
 Post Reply Post Reply