Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator for outdoor speaker running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 10:36am
I have used big ones non inverter too with condfidence, but if the load is near the genset capacity wouldn't inverter be better in case of sudden load change as in the bass bin failure scenario?
That has been my school of thoughts, but i have expensive electronics that i want to protect

Edited by Jo bg - 12 August 2020 at 10:36am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Meat Substitute Meat Substitute wrote:

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Yeah you are quite lucky then mate....the exhaust on a small engine that's been running for hours, is usually hotter than the flash point of petrol! 
It's a little safer with diesel, as the flash point is that much higher. Still not a great idea.

Flash point isn't when it goes bang, you're thinking autoignition temperature. Both pretty important in terms of risk assessment but autoignition temp is the most important IMO.

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/109407/why-is-the-auto-ignition-temperature-of-petrol-higher-than-that-of-diesel

always assumed it was the other way round. they are in the same ballpark though.

the flashpoint of petrol is below ambient temperature whereas diesel is well above - so just having petrol on site is a significantly greater risk, even if people aren't pouring it over hot generators.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Meat Substitute Meat Substitute wrote:

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Yeah you are quite lucky then mate....the exhaust on a small engine that's been running for hours, is usually hotter than the flash point of petrol! 
It's a little safer with diesel, as the flash point is that much higher. Still not a great idea.

Flash point isn't when it goes bang, you're thinking autoignition temperature. Both pretty important in terms of risk assessment but autoignition temp is the most important IMO.

If the guy filling it has a lit roll-up dangling, as is often the case, the two are pretty interchangeable ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
mike_n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2020 at 6:24pm
A setup that we use to power temporary / portable  RF and microwave installations might work for you. We use Honda EU6500is and EU2000i inverter generators but similar from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Yanmar or Subarau (aka Robin) could do the job.
For the larger sites we use a pair of EU6500is with around 4.8kw load on each as they are only rated for 5.5kw. Despite the 6500is model number, 6.5kw is a max rating and they will overheat and shutdown if run with a continuous load approaching that max rating. Apart from nice clean stable power that you get from the inverter a big advantage is that they can be run at partial throttle ("ECO throttle") saving fuel and reducing noise if not fully loaded and will throttle up as demand increases. We get anywhere from 4.5 to 8 hours between refills running like this. These things are very quiet at around 60dB(A) with full load.They are heavy but wheels and fold up handles make them fairly easy to move around.
For smaller sites we use one or more EU20i with about 1.4kw on each. Continuous rating is 1.6kw and max rating is 2kw. These units also have the "ECO throttle" feature but add the ability to tie two units together with a special parallel cable for 3.2kw continuous capacity and 4kw max. Configured like this the output of both units is in phase as the inverters run in a master slave configuration. The bigger EU30is also have this feature but not the EU6500is.
You might find that a pair of EU30is running in parallel configuration is a better fit for you than say a single EU6500is. As far as noise goes the EU20i and EU6500is are very close running as single units but a pair of EU20i running at full load seem to be a little noisier than the single EU6500is.
We have been running these for quite a few years now and find them to be very reliable and much more cost effective than replacing cheaper "clones" more frequently. The only other point I would add is that they do need regular oil and filter changes every 100 hours of running. We do ours at 50 hours because we are often in hot and dusty conditions and we do run them continuously for several days with stops only to refuel and check oil levels. 
I have no affiliation with Honda, just passing on our experience with these generators. As others have mentioned, stay well clear of the "clones" especially the chinese diesels as they are noisey unreliable junk.
Cheers,
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123