Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

broad range 15s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 9:15pm
Sure you can beef that system up.
Not so much by adding more power, well maybe that too, but rather put in more effecient speakers that do the intended region (low-mid/mid) better than the current speakers. That's why I said earlier to look at the B&C and Beyma types.
The original speakers were a sensible choice back than, because they had to do lows also, but take out that requirement and you can optimise a good deal. A speaker that is 5-6dB more efficient will go ~4 times louder with the same power. I don't know what power the fifteens get now, but it's doubtfull they can take 4 times more power and besides, even if they could, power compression will cut away some of the SPL, so it's won't even get 4 times louder like that.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 10:26pm
If you google Gollehon you get more info... including a pic of a 15” with red surrounds and a square magnet... shouts midbass all over to me. Looks like abuilder who used every resource available. 
pitty sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitty sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 10:53pm
bams is right on this, the magnets are square with red surrounds. 

peter jan, that makes sense what you are saying about the specs of beefing it up, i think my confusion lied in being told originally that i should stick to the TS specs of that specific cab. unless wattage doesnt necessarily *fundamentally* play a role in TS specifications. Like am i able to retain similar TS specs with a different wattage? also going to look up the driver specs you gave me, hoping i can find some good options in the states. 

any ideas on tops? suggestions? tweeter array? somethin different?

ok so i think if you copy and paste the BOTTOM link only it will take you to the photos. 

https://soundonlymanslaughter777.imgur.com/all/?third_party=1 - https://soundonlymanslaughter777.imgur.com/all/?third_party=1
pitty sing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitty sing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2020 at 12:34am
bump for this post! 

i think for the 15s im going to replace those old squareback with the B&C 15PLB76 - and looking into some compression drivers that will cover more of that missing range that we talked about. Im still having a hard time finding solid info on tweeters for my tops. any suggestions? parts express have these pre-made (helps as im no carpenter) tweeter arrays for very inexpensive... which leads me to think i should stay away from em? They are the Pyle 4 way or 6 way tweeter arrays for anyone curious enough to give me some feedback. any suggestions from people with tweeter experience? 

this also leads me to my next question... switching my system to 4 way mono. whats they typical set up here? 
right now i have it like this set up 3 way stereo mode like this:

crown 6000xti powering the eminence 18s
crown 4002xti powering 4 15
smaller QSC powering the tops

so im thinking changing it like this
Crown 6000 for subs. (if i go to 4 way mono for my crossover... would i be wanting to bridge mono the amp and daisy chain my subs?)
crown 4002 for the B&C 15s (same question applies here...should i be running bridge mono?)
QSC channel 1 running the mid horns  
QSC channel 2 running the tweeters 

the only issue im running into with this idea is that the mid horns dont have a daisy chain option so im not sure how to run them off of one channel. am i just going to have to get another amp for the tops? Or is there a way to rewire or a workaround to getting both mid horns to run off one channel?

thanks again for all the help so far!!! 

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2020 at 12:49pm
As you would go for 15PLB76's, it would be a pity to couple that with some el cheapo Pyle/whatever stuff, that would really be "pearls for pigs" as we say in our language LOL.
Either add some Beyma CP22/25 ( or similar ) and keep the original drivers ( if they still are in good shape ). You could hang these tweeters in front of the mid horns or even in front of the fifteens on a bracket of some sort.
Or as said earlier, something like a BMS coaxial driver and keep it 3-way. Probably going to need an adapter from screw-on to bolt-on, as I think the original drivers are screw-on types.

A Crown XTi 6000 has plenty power to feed two 18's on each channel.
Bridge mode combines the power of two channels into one channel, but that is in double the impedance. 2x 2kW in 4 Ohm in stereo mode or 1x 4kW in 8 Ohm Bridge mono as an example. As each of the four 18's is 8 Ohm and putting them all in parallel, would make for a 2 Ohm total charge on the bridged amp, presenting 1 Ohm for each channel of the amp. No amp in this world can do that, even 2 Ohm is a stretch for many, so there is really nothing to be gained with bridge mode in this case.
Same for the 15's, Xti 4002 has plenty power as it is, to feed two (especially efficient) 15's with each channel.

The only thing that could make practical sense with bridge mode in your case, is to put 18's and 15's two-by-two in series in each cab (makes for 16 Ohm per cab), parallel/daisy chain 18" cabs and 15" cabs respectively (presenting an 8 Ohm total load to the amps) and run only one cable respectively to (or from) the bridged amps. Less cable needed and the amps "see" the same load bridged as in 2x 4 Ohm stereo mode and same power in total of course.

As for putting mid horns in parallel/daisy chain, just put in an extra connector ( Speakon/XLR/...) in each of the midhorn cabs.

Edit : Looking back to your first post, it seems the 18's are in 4 seperate cabs, right ?
Well... probably have to keep that on a two-by-two basis and run two cables to the Xti 6000 in stereo mode.

Edited by Peter Jan - 21 August 2020 at 12:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12