Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Box builders brad nail gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 4:44pm
Sticking panels together is one thing, reinforcing joints is another.

There are many ways to build cabs, you can glue and butt joint, you can glue and rebate in, you can add screws/nails/brads/staples, you can dovetail or box joint, or mitres and spines.

It's all about realising the use and abuse and taking it from there. There's no doubt that just glue and butt joints can build a box but it won't long survive a life on the road, the joint might survive but the wood may start splitting, hence why screws are using to reinforce joints. Brads are great for helping with glue ups especially if you're short on clamps. Staples are a step up in terms of strength but urgh staples.

When I build stuff I rebate in, glue and a couple of brands to keep it together while i do pilot holes for the screws. Means you no longer have to wait for the glue to dry.

Also for what it's worth, clamping with too much pressure seems to starve the joint too. Firm pressure is enough. 

For what its worth I hear good things about the silverline brad guns. About the one decent thing they do.
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 5:52pm
All glued and screwed together. The brad gun just makes it super fast and easy to assemble each pannel to a firm fix then fire screws in. Built 6 cabs in half the time with this method. 

Edited by msoundsystem - 14 October 2020 at 5:52pm
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by msoundsystem msoundsystem wrote:

All glued and screwed together. The brad gun just makes it super fast and easy to assemble each pannel to a firm fix then fire screws in. Built 6 cabs in half the time with this method. 

Yeah this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123