Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20k 7pin pot..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20k 7pin pot..
    Posted: 19 August 2020 at 11:28am
Looking for a 20k 18mm shaft length 7pin pot same as the one in the photo in the link.. anywhere in the uk that sells them? I might be blind but carnt seem to find them. Cheers https://www.soundservice.gr/e-shop/en/product.php?products_id=3727

Edited by msoundsystem - 19 August 2020 at 11:29am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 1:43pm
alps RK14 series but whats the track law, does it have a centre click, whats the orientation of the flat, etc
Kevin

North Staffordshire

msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 4:12pm
Cheers kevin. It has a centre click as its for a bass eq pot on a vestax mixer.. what do you mean by the orientation of the flat? Do you mean which way around are the pins on the body of the pot?? 
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 10:53pm
if its an OEM part then the flat can come at any angle with relation to the track, so if you get the wrong one, the knob pointer will be in the wrong position compared to the position of the actual track. At one time the flat would always be opposite the pointer direction but these days it can be anywhere.
The track law is important too, otherwise centre position may not correspond to 'flat' eq but some random boost or cut.

OEM pots may also have the shaft shoulder at a non-standard height, meaning when you push the knob on, it either sits high or so low thatit scrapes on the deck plate.

I'd think the best place for these would be mouser or digikey, but study the datasheets and full part number before ordering. You may have to settle for one that's close but not perfect, eg a long shaft that needs filing down or no centre-detent.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 19 August 2020 at 10:54pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2020 at 8:11pm
I'm almost sure this is the same pot as in some Allen & Heath Xone mixers.
They are 7 pin, 20k with center click and used as EQ pots.
I can check it out on Monday, when I have one in hand, measure height and all...
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 6:10pm
No luck ... three candidates, but it's shaft too short or mounting different or both.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2020 at 10:41pm
There are quite a few tricks you can play if you can't get the exact baby, not least of which cutting the shaft of the old one (Carefully noting orientation!!) drilling a couple of 1mm holes clean through the length (Use a drill press and square!!) and then have cut the shaft of the new one (Square, use a pile of washers as a jig!) you use the old shaft to drill 2 holes in the stub of the new shaft and use a couple of bits of stiff wire (welding rod is ideal) as re-enforcement to epoxy the 2 back together..

:-)
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2020 at 12:41pm
Sorted in the end... could not get the same size pot with the legs vertical,  so i got a 20k pot with horizontal legs and extended them with some resistor legs to go through the board. All working! Cheers for ur help 
 Post Reply Post Reply