Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Rack Fan Direction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp Rack Fan Direction
    Posted: 27 August 2020 at 1:10pm
Afternoon All,

So i've got myself a nice little 8u amp rack on wheels at last (which i'm probably more excited about than I should be!) anyway it's got a fan mounted to the back which i'm now linking up.

It's at the bottom of the rack i'd assume to suck in the cold air from outside there and have the warm air exit out the top, but it's fitted so that is sucks from the inside and blows out. Now it'd make sense that the rack fan direction matches that of the amps inside, namely a couple of Matrix STR's  on kick bass and mid-top and a QSC on sub bass. The QSC sucks from the back and blows out the front which brings me on to my first question:

1. What is the fan direction for Matrix STR amps?
and
2. What would be the best setup for cooling in this instance?

I'll add some photos when I get on the laptop! Cheers all!

Edited by 2face - 27 August 2020 at 1:12pm
Submission VS 2facedBass 21/11/09 @Basingstoke Bang Bar!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 1:23pm
What ever you do, it is absolutely vital the airflow direction is the same through out the rack.

Unfortunately different Manufactures use different air flow directions.

I have never used the Matrix Amps so I can not comment.

If the amp is blowing air in to the rack then the fan needs to be clearing the air from that rack. Do not blow air cold air in to the rack if the amplifier is also trying to blow air in to the rack. The fan on the back of the rack should assist the fans in the amplifiers at pulling the air though the units.

I like a nice new rack too, so you are not alone! Still can't beat a nice original flashlight rack in my opinion :)

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 3:02pm
pretty sure all my matrix amps cool front to back.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 3:14pm
and don't consider changing the direction of the fans in any amp - turbulent air from blowing onto a heatsink cools much better than sucking air away from a heatsink
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 7:35pm
"It's at the bottom of the rack"

I´d change that straight away and put it at the top, in the direction that will help blow hot air away from the amps.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
John C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 12:27pm
Interesting comments, I have often wondered how to ventilate a rack correctly
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 8:51pm
Quote Interesting comments, I have often wondered how to ventilate a rack correctly

Generally speaking, cool air in at the bottom, warm air out at he top. That's the same direction as natural air circulation.

Edited by madboffin - 08 September 2020 at 8:59pm
2face View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2020 at 2:02pm
Thanks All. Going to move the fan to the top so it blows out.

Do we think that the QSC being next to the matrix could cause an issue or would not be best practice due to their opposite cooling directions?

I have 1u of free space in the rack currently being taken up by a vented blanking plate above the 3 amps and below the crossover, I see this as being natural to remove the hot air from the amps, but would this be better placed between the QSC and Matrix amps given their alternate cooling directions? (Would think not but worth the ask!)
Submission VS 2facedBass 21/11/09 @Basingstoke Bang Bar!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by 2face 2face wrote:

Thanks All. Going to move the fan to the top so it blows out.

Do we think that the QSC being next to the matrix could cause an issue or would not be best practice due to their opposite cooling directions?

I have 1u of free space in the rack currently being taken up by a vented blanking plate above the 3 amps and below the crossover, I see this as being natural to remove the hot air from the amps, but would this be better placed between the QSC and Matrix amps given their alternate cooling directions? (Would think not but worth the ask!)

put a divider in the rack so that air is sucked in at the bottom and then straight out the back through the extra fan. top half of rack will blow hot out the front.
 Post Reply Post Reply