Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ecler smac pro20- Anybody got SMD-Soldering tips?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ecler smac pro20- Anybody got SMD-Soldering tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ecler smac pro20- Anybody got SMD-Soldering tips?
    Posted: 24 September 2020 at 6:08pm
As part of my nobudget retro covidbuild system i bought a broken ecler smac pro 20. Great little mixer with usefull eq and isolators and a decent soundquality. Everything works as a charm except for the two outputs. Record out functions as normal. The outputs only emit some continous noise. There is no mysterious blue smoke or traces of burn to be seen. In the signal path of the outputs is a tl074c opamp. 

Would it be an educated guess that one is broken due to the fact both channels and both outputs emit the same noise? And otherwise how can i measure such device?

Edited by Bams - 30 October 2020 at 8:03am
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 8:57pm
If Phones output also still works, while listening to Master output ( no Pfl engaged ), it's even certain that TL074 is bad, because no other active component(s) come after the point where the Phones signal taps off ( just before both Master Volume 1 & 2 potmeters ).
I'm sure you can easily manage without the Service Manual, but send me a PM if you like to have it anyway.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 10:52pm
Thank you for the confirmation! Feeling a little bit Proud due to the fact its all self-taught :) 
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2020 at 8:06am
Parts are underway, including soldering paste and heatresistant tape. But last time i did some SMD-soldering was during an apprenticeship mid-nineties. Anybody got any do’s and dont’s regarding this technique? It has to be done with a regular soldering station and/or heatgun...
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2020 at 1:13am
Hopefully your solder station  is temperature controlled and the paste you have acquired is the 60 40 type solder, not lead free which is harder to work with.
I would cut out the body of the faulty chip with small pair of wire cutters.
Then remove the individual legs with a fine tipped soldering iron - ( A bit of extra solder - flux can help) .
Clean up the pads with some solder wick braid.
Layer some solder paste on the pads and place the new IC in situ with tweezers.
Tack the end legs first making sure that the alignment is good. Then solder the rest of the pads making sure that the solder flows cleanly and check for any solder bridges.
If you are unsure about your soldering a bit of side pressure on the individual legs with a fine point can confirm if its stuck down or not.
Good lighting & a magnifier will help. Dependent on your eyesight.
I used to do a lot of hand soldering of SMD parts - down to 40 pins per inch for processor chips. If the parts in the Smac are the same sort of size as the Sclat then they are fairly chunky by modern standards!
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2020 at 11:07am
Thanks for the tips! Temperature comtrolled station- check! Correct solder and flux-check! And indeed, it isn’t really microsized. More like a small regular part or really chunky smd :) leave that to the spanish ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply